HybridZ

Transmission Choice

Wesley

Hi there. I am currently doing a rebuild on my 1978 Datsun 280z.

I am most likely going to be putting down roughly 260HP at the high end to the fly wheel so nothing too extreme. ( But it will be more like 225HP)

Here is the deal. I have the stock 5 speed and R200 that came with the car. I am dropping the transmission and will be rebuilding it no matter what.

My question is since I can pick up a T5 or any kind of transmission that came on the L series for no real cost.

Should I bother swapping transmissions?(Since I will be rebuilding the transmission that goes into the car regardless)

What kind of modifications would I be looking at?(I assume there is a post about how to do this already I just don't know what transmission yet)

Or should I just rebuild my transmission?(I feel like 3rd gear drops off but this is also with a stock setup i.e. 110HP maybe)

Thank You.

The stock 280z 5 speed trans has a big ratio jump between 2nd & 3rd gear.And 5th is too close to 4th.The t5 has some wierd ratios.I have a built turbo engine but i used to use my car on road course track days.I use a 83 280zx na trans.nice ratio spread and best 5th for freeway running.run this trans with a 3.7 or 3.9 rear

The stock 280z 5 speed trans has a big ratio jump between 2nd & 3rd gear.And 5th is too close to 4th.The t5 has some wierd ratios.I have a built turbo engine but i used to use my car on road course track days.I use a 83 280zx na trans.nice ratio spread and best 5th for freeway running.run this trans with a 3.7 or 3.9 rear

You answered my question thank you!

How would I go about identifying the 280zx transmission?

Changing 71B to T5, it will increase about 70lbs. Just FYI

The T5 does not weigh 70 lbs more than the NA tranny. I have both in my basement but am on the road so can't weigh them. I'd guess the difference is more around 10-20 lbs, but that's just going from memory.

I've been running an 81-83 NA tranny with 4.11 and loved it when I had a NA L28 with moderate cam. But it turns 3100 rpm at 75 rpm which is a bit busy so a 3.9 might be a better choice for the street. 3.7 is probably good with the NA cam that runs out of steam by 5500 rpm.

Experiment with this to see how changing transmission, diff, and redline all affect your speed in each gear.

After a year of running a turbo the tranny is starting to fail so I'll be swapping to a T5 and 3.54 or 3.7.

The T5 does not weigh 70 lbs more than the NA tranny. I have both in my basement but am on the road so can't weigh them. I'd guess the difference is more around 10-20 lbs, but that's just going from memory.

I've been running an 81-83 NA tranny with 4.11 and loved it when I had a NA L28 with moderate cam. But it turns 3100 rpm at 75 rpm which is a bit busy so a 3.9 might be a better choice for the street. 3.7 is probably good with the NA cam that runs out of steam by 5500 rpm.

Experiment with this to see how changing transmission, diff, and redline all affect your speed in each gear.

After a year of running a turbo the tranny is starting to fail so I'll be swapping to a T5 and 3.54 or 3.7.

Very handy Calculator! Thank You.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked with a bathroom scale and the T5 weighs ~20 lbs more than an 81-83 ZX 5 speed.

You're correct i had quite a few of those back in the early 90's that i shipped to individuals all over and bought them for racing application.The T-5 trans weighs more than the non turbo 5/speeds.

Got nothin but time here at work fig id add my two cents

S13 Gear Ratio

1st- 3.321

2nd- 1.902

3rd- 1.308

4th- 1.000

5th- 0.759

Z32 Gear Ratio

1st- 3.214

2nd- 1.925

3rd- 1.302

4th- 1.000

5th- 0.752

T5 Gear Ratio

1st- 3.50

2nd- 2.14

3rd- 1.38

4th- 1.00

5th- 0.78

references

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Nissan_240SX_Performance_Modification/Transmission

http://www.zshop.net.au/Z32tech.htm

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

Each trans has it's advantages. With a T5 you can go with WC box or there are aftermarket upgrades. If you stay with a 71B it opens up the option of upgrading it with the 300zx or 240sx internals later. T5's are cheaper to rebuild and have the later option of a G-force upgrade. 71B, 71C (300zx), and 71H(240sx) transmissions are cheap and plentiful in the junkyards, and have a smoother shift feel to me.

My opinion: Out of the box the 71B/C/H transmissions are a better choice. Upgraded the nod goes to the T5.