HybridZ

New to Conversions (Need Help)

Dear Hybrid Z,

I am a conversion virgin, but I am planning on installing a Ford V8 into my 1977 Datsun 280Z.

I don't know anything about conversions, so I was wondering what I needed for such a project.

I was looking at something like this: http://www.fordcobraengines.com/shopDetails.asp?CatId=17&SubCatId=36&ProductId=102

It comes with the engine (and everything listed below it) and a 5-Speed Manual Transmission. Is there some tutorial or guide to follow on how to do this? Any advice? Go easy on me, please, I'm new to this.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, that link also sells a mount kit. $12,500 is incredibly expensive, and for (only) 350hp, I'd think there are much better options. I'm pretty sure you can get a 5.0 H.O. motor and T5 tranny from a junkyard for less than a grand, put another $2-3k into rebuilding it with goodies and another $2500 on a supercharger kit and you'll have a total beast...

Right around 1k for mine. Not too hard to keep it under 1500 for a budget swap, SBC / SBF would be pretty easy methinks. I lost my link but somewhere on hybridz there's a great post that everybody posts what their conversion costs. It's titled something like "How much did everybody spend on their conversions" or something like that.

Welcome to Hybrid Swede.

The first thing you need to be aware of is the bi-annual smog inspections required on your '77 280Z here in California. That adds another layer of complexity and difficulty to your swap over those of us with '75 and older cars that are not required to have inspections and testing performed every two years. Your conversion will have to be CARB compliant.

You might consider finding a nice clean '75 to hybridize.

Welcome to Hybrid Swede.

The first thing you need to be aware of is the bi-annual smog inspections required on your '77 280Z here in California. That adds another layer of complexity and difficulty to your swap over those of us with '75 and older cars that are not required to have inspections and testing performed every two years. Your conversion will have to be CARB compliant.

You might consider finding a nice clean '75 to hybridize.

Dan is right, but there is a lot of info here on how to get your swap CARB certified. If you want to keep the '77 and do a swap, do some searching and you should find some very thorough information. Good luck!

Welcome to Hybrid Swede.The first thing you need to be aware of is the bi-annual smog inspections required on your '77 280Z here in California. That adds another layer of complexity and difficulty to your swap over those of us with '75 and older cars that are not required to have inspections and testing performed every two years. Your conversion will have to be CARB compliant.You might consider finding a nice clean '75 to hybridize.

Dan is right, but there is a lot of info here on how to get your swap CARB certified. If you want to keep the '77 and do a swap, do some searching and you should find some very thorough information. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for you replies! As mentioned, I am new to the conversion scene and your support is highly appreciated!

Also, thanks Dan and Leon for pointing that out. Is it really difficult to get a vehicle CARB certified upon a V8 swap? I read through some government sites, and they stated that as long as the engine is of the same year or newer and passes the emissions test, I should be fine. With some good CATs, would it still cause problems? Thanks a lot guys, I have nowhere else to turn to, so your guy's help really means a lot.

Cheers!

...With some good CATs, would it still cause problems? ...

If it were just complying with the laws it wouldn't be that big a deal. And some people here have done it without a lot of drama. Others have quite a different story though.

It's the human factor where the issues begin. Some people in authority in one county interpret the laws one way, and others in a different county differently. Some car owners act like jerks and piss-off the authorities (who are only human) and suffer the consequences. Some authorities are just jerks themselves and decide to make life hard on the poor, sweet Z car guy.

Before you decide to go with your '77 do a lot of reading here on the topic of CARB compliance. And there is a lot to read. For every positive story there is one that goes the other way. Everyone here wants to argue the law, but it's not the law, it's that dang human factor.

For me that was just too much of a gamble of my money and time. And a proper motor swap will consume plenty of both.

To be fair, even an older Z with a motor swap, by law, is required to be compliant even if it's not inspected and tested every two years. So if you piss-off a cop, or if he just shows up pissed-off, he can make you take the car in for a smog inspection.

As a general practice I stopped pissing-off cops years ago. So for me this seemed like a much safer bet.

Your results may vary. B)

Oh, and yes, follow Miles advice and get the JTR book. For anyone thinking seriously about doing a V8 Z this is the best first money spent.

Edited by Dan Juday

Not all counties in California require a biannual inspection.But if you do something to piss off a leo you will probably be asked to open the hood. Then get referred to the smog referree station and the snowball starts from there.I used to be a ford dealer tech and have a smog license.A 88-94 mustang efi would be a fairly easy swap and would not be hard to certify if you know how ALL systems work- like the evap system on the fuel tank.I had my turbo swap certified in my 77.The problem is then the engine has to be left basically stock and you will have to do that biannual inspection.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Your support means a lot to me, as it is the only one I've got! Thanks again for your replies, all of you.

I will make sure to think carefully about this and if I do happen to get this done, I'll make sure it is done "legally" and hope for the best :P