HybridZ

240 TOYOTA 4 PISTON BRAKE CALIPER UPGRADE

Hey guys,

Its been many years since I had my V8Z and was active on this board, but I have a buddy that just bought a fully restored UBER NICE 71 and he is having some brake issues... I Did the Toyota 4 Piston upgrade on my 77 280 and it worked great... Can Anyone tell me if this conversion will work on a 71 240?... If so,What year toyota truck calipers work best?

Thanks,

Myron

Myron, read in the brakes section, This is still a Sticky in there. Silvermine's kit is pretty much the standard setup that's been hashed out. the Toyota Calipers (I think it was from a mid 80's pathfinder) and 84 300zx rotors. The difference between the 240 and the 280, I think, was the thickness of the spacer plates.

With brake hardware from Autozone or other local parts shop, you should be able to put it together for around $250, Cheaper if you hit the JY for cheap cores (besure to check prices first) The advantage to the silvermine kit is that it's all there, comes in the box and you know it's all set to fit. But if you DIY you can still save maybe a franklin or two.

Be aware that the toyota calipers don't fit well in some 14" stock rims.

Myron,

I went to Autozone and asked for calipers for a 1987 toyota pickup and got calipers marked S12+8. They are lower profile and fit in my old school 15-inch rims. I ordered spacers from MM and bought 300zx venterd rotors. Stopping power is great. I did not change to the larger master cylinder (15/16ths) yet. Using the stock MS (7/8ths) there is more throw in the pedal. I like it, others do not.

Bonk

The stock brakes will work fine if you service them with a rebuilt caliper, new rotor, and new fluid, especially if it is all stock and restored, doing the toyota caliper upgrade would loose originality.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you have to remember there are two sets of calipers, actually 3 depending on what model you ask for.

Of the 4 piston variety, there is the S12 and the S12+8, the S12 comes from a 79-85 4x4, while the S12+8 comes from the 86-88 4x4 and I believe 4 runner.

The S12 is a simple bolt on upgrade, literally just swap out the caliper, buy a new 240 rotor, search for a larger master cylinder and you are good to go.

The S12+8 is wider to accomodate the vented rotor, which will require a spacer (varies between hubs, 240 and 280z have different hubs) and a vented rotor from a 300zx.

The stock brakes will work fine if you service them with a rebuilt caliper, new rotor, and new fluid, especially if it is all stock and restored, doing the toyota caliper upgrade would loose originality.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you have to remember there are two sets of calipers, actually 3 depending on what model you ask for.

Of the 4 piston variety, there is the S12 and the S12+8, the S12 comes from a 79-85 4x4, while the S12+8 comes from the 86-88 4x4 and I believe 4 runner.

The S12 is a simple bolt on upgrade, literally just swap out the caliper, buy a new 240 rotor, search for a larger master cylinder and you are good to go.

The S12+8 is wider to accomodate the vented rotor, which will require a spacer (varies between hubs, 240 and 280z have different hubs) and a vented rotor from a 300zx.

This is correct. 1985 was the last year of the straight front axle in their 4x4 pickup. 1986 was IFS, and as a result different calipers. The 86+ calipers were larger than the '79-'85.

• 9 months later...