HybridZ

Long cranks to start

ZAMMM

I recently purchased a new thermo time switch from MSA thinking it was the reason it would take my z 1 to 3 cranks to start sometimes. Since I have installed the new thermo switch it has improved a little but some times I will have to crank it twice or it will crank the first time but takes 3-4 seconds to fire. I have noticed it to start sooner in the morning and harder while after driving or when its hot out.I also have noticed since installing the switch if it takes 3 times to start it doesnt sound flooded or fart when it finally fires up. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Start by reading this, it explains in detail how the stock efi works on your car, its very simple to understand. http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/efisystem/280zfuelinjectionbook.pdf

Buying a new thermo time switch was a waste on money IMO. Its much more likely that your water temp sensor(located right next to the thermo time switch) is causing the problems you describe. Sensor could be bad or the connections are very dirty. start there.

I'm not sure if the injectors fire for one split second like they do on alot of cars on the Z's or not but I have had success at the shop with having people turn their key on for a second or two, rotate back, back on a second or two and then back and then try to start. It usually will prime the fuel system pretty good in that manner regardless of what kind of car it is. Just another free thing to try.