HybridZ

79ZX to 83ZXT swap help!!!!!

Hi Def

I just ran into a member on here,on FB. Long story short,we talked on the phone and went thru everything and still no spark? Fuel pump primes,also is pumpin while cranking. Everything seems correct but still no spark?

I have 2 ECU's here but I'm beinging to think their bad? Anyway to test them? How do I tell if its the ecu? Also have 2 distributors here and tried both. EVERYTHING I have tried has still resulted in a no spark issue? I have 2 of everything. Harness,distributors,ecu's... Tried all combinations,and still nothing. Almost at the tipping point of selling this build.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't mention the crank angle sensor.  I think that the ECCS produces spark based on  the signal from the CAS.  No CAS signal, no spark (or injector operation).  It comes up occasionally but there doesn't appear to be an easy way to check the CAS sensor's functions.  83 is in the distributor, I believe.  You might search aorund on CAS sensor to see if there's a way to check its functioning.

Well since it's a '83 setup the CAS is inside the dizzy. The likelihood of both being out is slim. Now, the wiring from the CAS to the ECU could be bad... Again, a full wiring check needs to be done.

Also, considering the ECUs are analog, not digital, the only issue I could see arising is bad caps. And to have two ECUs that inject fuel but not trigger spark tells me that it's most likely NOT the ECUs being bad.

Keep searching, you're overlooking something somewhere. The problem at this point almost CANT be a part needing replaced, as you've just about replaced it all. 

The optical dizzy is easy to check.  You just need 12V and a multi meter.  Pull the dizzy so you can rotate the optical disk inside.  diyautotune has a drawing of the pinout for the dizzy.  Since it's an optical encoder wheel you just need to rotate it and see if it switches from 0V to 12V (low/high) as you rotate the disk.  There are two optical sensors - one is 360 slots and the other is six so check both to see if they are functioning.

As Gollum said check the wiring.  Are you getting 12V to the dizzy for the optical encoder?  Have you gone through the testing procedure in the FSM from www.xeonons130.com yet?  The best way to test the ECU is to throw it into another turbo car.  Do you have the part numbers frem each of the ECUs?  There are a few different ones - maybe you have the wrong combination?

So have you wired in the HEI module yet? It's such a simple task and if your original Nissan ignitor is bad then you're not gonna be getting ANY SPARK no matter what components you replace. Seriously, if you haven't wired it in yet, then do it. You have all the stuff already, why pull your hair out and throw $$ at parts if you haven't wired that up yet??

Thank you for the replies Gollum,FricFrac and Billseph....

Gollum,I have done some def not all the testing and after reading your guys posts,I will def get to it and test it all. Just been really cold out lately and Kersone is gettin pricey. Nevertheless,I will def go out there and test some more.

FricFrac,I got your message and pm'ed ya back. Def waiting to hear from you gain also!!!

And Bill... Sorry to disappoint ya,but No.. I have not put the HEI in yet but I do have everything here. Got an old amp I'm gonna cut up and make a nice sturdy and thick with the heat fins already molded in mount. I also have the special grease that it calls for. I also fixed and put wire ends on ALL my electrical connections as to have positive connections thru out. I also went thru all my grounds and made sure they were all well grounded.

I totally appreciate all the help and info you guys provide!!! I do read up and learn about anything that is told to me also. Just not the best at retaining all the info. Lol I also get side tracked pretty easily.... And yes Bill.... NO MORE MONEY ON PARTS TILL SHE'S RUNNING. Then I have a whole list of stuff to get yet! Lol

As far as the HEI module, of you wanna just test it out and see if you get spark, you don't even need the heatsink attached, just hook up the 4 spade connectors to where they go and make sure that one of the holes in the module is grounded. 10 minute job dude. Then if it runs, make all the wiring look pretty and solidly mount up the module/heatsink. I wanna hear you report back that you got that thing RUNNING.

Got your messages and emails... Thank you once again for replying and sharing your experience and info! I will be testing and reporting back asap. I will try the HEI and report back. Good or Bad. And FricFrac,I'll def be intouch very very soon!

Once again,thank you both!!!!! I truly appreciate all that you guys offer and advise me to do. Like I said before,I do also read up and learn about what is told and advised to me too. I just don't blindly go and try to fix it because of what someone said. I listen and then research,THEN I attempt the repair. :wink: To the noobs,take heed. Listen then research then fix and/or repair.

Also,Happy New Years to you and all the of Z/ZX family!!!!!!!!! :) Have a long and enjoyable ownership along with a fun and rare ride. Z/ZX's should def be worth more then they are! Truly a timeless style and awesome car to own. Even if mine dong run. Lol

Billseph and FricFrac,I can't thank you 2 enough!!!!!!!!!! Billseph,your emails helped very helped erymuch!! I did the HEI conversion the quick way and found spark! FricFrac also advised me to do the HEI conversion also. I made and mounted the HEI and heatseek lastnight. Was in the garage till 1am. Got the car started and it wants to fire up but it won't stay runnin. Got it actually start and run (after several attempts) for about 5-8secs and it run smooth as butter and then died?

I also tested EVERYTHING thru the harness. Only part(s) that didn't read in exact specs was the TPS which is brand new althou off my N/A and the AFM should read between 200-400ohms and mine reads 199?

Like a dumb ass,I put the AFM back in without bench testing it thou. :( It's now buried and will a P.I.A. to pull back out to test on the bench.

Other that,its back to reading unless someone may have a starting point for me too look at as. To way it won't stay runnin. Battery is strong and is on a battery maintainer anytime I'm not in the garage working. Battery is also brand new.

Any other advise will be greatly appreciated and tried!!!! I can post pics thru PhotoBucket or on FB. Their is a Datsun 280ZX Facebook page I joined cause its so ez to post pics from my phone on there.

And I still wanna get in touch with ya FricFrac about that work we discusssed. Also I seen a post about a LED light kit? Count me in on that too! Was next on my to do list actually!!! Lol Are these gonna be those lil white LED squares lights? The really bright lil ones? I'm not a fan of the lil glass LED lights. I wanna say,the small ones were called SMD's?

Waiting on some custom chrome pieces I had made so I can mount stuff back in the engine bay. Charcoal canister bracket,under hood inspection lamp,etc....

Thanks again very one and I can't wait to here it run STEADILY now!!!

Edited by Hi Def

Update for today. I took a break today cause when I went outside to countine working on the ZX-T now lol,my back wasn't havnin it. I guess,leaning over the fenders for the past few days pulled a muscle. :(

Been layin down and restin since I came in. Hopefully tomor,I'll be able to move around again and I'll get back at it. I def too young to be laid up like this. Lol Just workin on it too much or hard. Either way,I got progress so it was worth it.

Billseph and FricFrac,I can't thank you 2 enough!!!!!!!!!! Billseph,your emails helped very helped erymuch!! I did the HEI conversion the quick way and found spark! FricFrac also advised me to do the HEI conversion also. I made and mounted the HEI and heatseek lastnight. Was in the garage till 1am. Got the car started and it wants to fire up but it won't stay runnin. Got it actually start and run (after several attempts) for about 5-8secs and it run smooth as butter and then died?

I also tested EVERYTHING thru the harness. Only part(s) that didn't read in exact specs was the TPS which is brand new althou off my N/A and the AFM should read between 200-400ohms and mine reads 199?

Like a dumb ass,I put the AFM back in without bench testing it thou. :( It's now buried and will a P.I.A. to pull back out to test on the bench.

Other that,its back to reading unless someone may have a starting point for me too look at as. To way it won't stay runnin. Battery is strong and is on a battery maintainer anytime I'm not in the garage working. Battery is also brand new.

Any other advise will be greatly appreciated and tried!!!! I can post pics thru PhotoBucket or on FB. Their is a Datsun 280ZX Facebook page I joined cause its so ez to post pics from my phone on there.

And I still wanna get in touch with ya FricFrac about that work we discusssed. Also I seen a post about a LED light kit? Count me in on that too! Was next on my to do list actually!!! Lol Are these gonna be those lil white LED squares lights? The really bright lil ones? I'm not a fan of the lil glass LED lights. I wanna say,the small ones were called SMD's?

Waiting on some custom chrome pieces I had made so I can mount stuff back in the engine bay. Charcoal canister bracket,under hood inspection lamp,etc....

Thanks again very one and I can't wait to here it run STEADILY now!!!

Yea the LEDs look pretty good with good lighting from the sides as well.  I'm just trying to source a good electronic flasher to finish off the kit but all the one's I've found have been junk so far. The search continues.

So,I went outside and got the ZXT to start today. Hard as nails to start cold? Once running,everything was ok. Had to keep feathering the throttle to keep it runnin but other then that,all sounded well. Then I noticed that the Alt gauge was showing I had 14+ volts and the red light was starting to come on. Also seen the oil pressure was low. I shut it down and swapped out the Alternator for a known good one,and checked the oil.

Oil was low due to the big oil cooler I have now. So no prob there. Topped that off. And proceed to start again and bam! Fuel pump is now NOT priming!? Ok,maybe I bumped something. Check all wiring and look around. Nope. All good. Try again. No pump? Wth? Ok,so I swapped the alt and now no priming. Screw it,turn the key and Wtf!? Now no spark? LOL

Omg!!!!! This project is messing with me I swear!!!!! Now what coulda happened!? Did the other Alt have a short or something and shorted out my brand new HEI and fuel pump/relay? Last time I turned the key on,again after checking spark,all the dash lights were on!? Ok,disconnect and am now in the house mad. And to make it all worse,a dear friend of mine I found out,just had a stroke lastnight.

I swear,bad luck,loves me. :(

Sooooo,now where I begin to look and fix THIS prob.

So,I went outside and got the ZXT to start today. Hard as nails to start cold? Once running,everything was ok. Had to keep feathering the throttle to keep it runnin but other then that,all sounded well. Then I noticed that the Alt gauge was showing I had 14+ volts and the red light was starting to come on. Also seen the oil pressure was low. I shut it down and swapped out the Alternator for a known good one,and checked the oil.

Oil was low due to the big oil cooler I have now. So no prob there. Topped that off. And proceed to start again and bam! Fuel pump is now NOT priming!? Ok,maybe I bumped something. Check all wiring and look around. Nope. All good. Try again. No pump? Wth? Ok,so I swapped the alt and now no priming. Screw it,turn the key and Wtf!? Now no spark? LOL

Omg!!!!! This project is messing with me I swear!!!!! Now what coulda happened!? Did the other Alt have a short or something and shorted out my brand new HEI and fuel pump/relay? Last time I turned the key on,again after checking spark,all the dash lights were on!? Ok,disconnect and am now in the house mad. And to make it all worse,a dear friend of mine I found out,just had a stroke lastnight.

I swear,bad luck,loves me. :(

Sooooo,now where I begin to look and to fix THIS prob?