HybridZ

What did you do to your Z today?

Racer Z

School and my girlfriend have dominated my life for the past 8 or so months, but I am going to start pulling the engine/dash sometime this week. Perhaps over the weekend. My mechanic said he would plasma cut out the rust and tack weld in the new sheet metal for me. I'm pretty stoked because I'll be able to do all the real welding myself, and he'll be doing the "hard" work of lining up the replacement metal perfectly. Hopefully I'll have all the rust killed over winter and I can beg the family for some Christmas Datsun parts to get her road ready again. :D

Also engine is running stupid rich. My mechanic said it was the AFM that's the problem. I read somewhere that in 1976 the water temperature switch sends some information to the ECU modifying the amount of fuel sent to the injectors. Is this true? If so I believe that it may be my problem. My old water temperature switch wires turned into dust when I was putting the new head gasket in. Perhaps all I need to do is install this new switch to fix the problem?

Edited by MazerRackham

Withdrew an offer due to work delaying my return :^(

Confirmed a purchase of a pair of upgraded Klipsh KG4's and a pair of LaScalas...

Second item not directly Z related, but it does free up two speakers for the work area. My neighbors will soon become very irritated by my long nights working on the car whenever I'm at home. The boom box can go away and that 100W video amp can get some decent speakers on it.

And the big amp in the house will now get LaScalas. I'm glad the cat is gone. It would die from stress at the SPL I'm going to drive those to!

I did nothing today. Guy that is building my rotisserie apparently has no interest in getting things done. The project which should've taken a day is at three weeks now and not even started. Crappy part is that it's the same guy I planned on using is supposed to section my struts, install frame rails, weld up holes, fabricate tail panel, and build custom flares.

If he can't handle a simple $100 job, how can I trust him to do the rest for big money? Bad part is that hes my buddy, and he does this stuff as a business. Grrrrrrrrr

me and a friend changed my rear wheel bearing's an hour and 10 minutes later good ass new !

i still need to do that.   I worked on my Z31 CV shafts last night.  Got them modified to fit.  Now I just need to get the stub axle kit and rear bearing set.

Let's see . I dropped the LS1 out of my 02 Z28 , bought it from an auction , on 11/17/12 . Pulled the Z motor and trans. out on the 22nd . Dropped the LS1 in on the 23rd . Reworked the fact. harness and installed it back on the motor , mounted the ECM , installed Vette fuel filter , mod. both dipstick tubes on the 12/2/12 . Now , i'm waiting on headers .

post-11413-0-59136100-1354640922_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-89948100-1354640958_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-64769100-1354641008_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-88076000-1354641209_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-41443500-1354641262_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-41540200-1354641304_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-80972300-1354641382_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-69092200-1354641399_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-85749000-1354641418_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-85514100-1354641479_thumb.jpg

i still need to do that.   I worked on my Z31 CV shafts last night.  Got them modified to fit.  Now I just need to get the stub axle kit and rear bearing set.

That has to be a record!

use a air hammer it makes life so much easyer. The first time i did it it took for ever

use a air hammer it makes life so much easyer. The first time i did it it took for ever

Check out a "Hub Tamer Elite" Never struggle with wheel bearings again. Expensive tool, but one worth having in your arsenal if you do wheel bearings once a week. An air hammer works too I suppose.

Edited by rayaapp2

It's been way to long since I voiced myself.

As my brother said some time back, we got the engine and trans installed.

Then we finished our rear disk brake conversion.  Fixed up our new-old trailer.  Put the car on the trailer and went racing.

Pete drove and I was pit crew this time.  The engine, trans and brakes worked well as did the rest of the car, so I got to relax and watch the races.  Pete finished second in his class loosing to a Miata by a tenth of a second.

And that's what we've been doing with our Z Car.

I got my z on jack stands, took off the wheels and stripped her down to bare hubs in preparation for new brakes and bearings (maybe bushings too) but I can't go further right now due to lack of funds. I actually expected everything to go a lot slower but so far stripping her down has been a piece of cake in comparison to other project cars I have had, so we wait.