HybridZ

What did you do to your Z today?

Racer Z

Installed 5 point because my lap belt will not fly at the track. and tried to figure out my new cooling problem thought i had it done with new rad and water pump but nope sbc gen1 cooling is straight forward and i am getting close to 200 with hood open and fans on .... thems the brakes 

post-19246-0-04090300-1398183770_thumb.jpg post-19246-0-90637700-1398183697_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Re-installed dash, and sorting out the all the electrical connections.

Currently trying to figure out what wires connect(ed) to the brake pedal switch, as nothing seems to be lining up. I have tail lights, hazard lights, signals, all working, but no brake lights (switch isn't plugged to anything), and no green/yellow wires anywhere that I can find....

Anyone got a picture of which harness chunk those leads hang out of?

Got them brake lights turning on and off :) The Datsun played it's first tunes through Pandora, leaving me very excited about this summer of driving.

Didn't put the blower motor assembly OR duct box back in. I can literally sit backwards on the passenger seat, put my head on the floor and comfortably slide myself up onto the firewall with two arms and a set of eyes behind my gauges.... deadly!

Everything seems to be super happy except the gauge illumination which is as terrible as ever.

Only getting an hour or two per day to play this last couple of weeks... Today, installed some 5.25" JL coax in new kickpanels, and mocked up the 6x9 JL triax pair in the rear and did some tuning / listening... Sexual! I'm kind of regretting ordering a 5ch amp last night, as these clearly run fine on this particular headunit. I suppose I need to commit to a sub(s) now in the spare tire recess.

Also got the float levels gauged to ~26mm from top and found my rear choke as 'stuck', instantly solving a lot of my mixture control issue. Recalibrated the widebands and played for a bit before bed.

Not today but yesterday at my friends shop on the lift preparing for upcoming track event at WGI [Watkins Glen Intl] 1st weekend in may: fixed exhaust rattle, pulled wheels, taped the wheel weights, pulled calipers, removed old [nearly to the steel backers] Hawk HP+ pads, installed new Raybestos ST-43 pads [more aggressive], bled the brakes, then back down on all fours & test drove.  She's nearly ready!

1tuffz- please let me know how the ST-43s compare to the HP+. I have ST-43 that I put one hard track day on. They worked great, but Im not experienced on a road course, so anything might have felt great to me. Lots of pad left. I will put them back on (with a dedicated set of rotors) for ZCon. You will hear me coming!-very noisy pad on my car. But I had brakes for a change, so it was worth every squeal. I bet Upstate NY is BEAUTIFUL right now.

Keith, I'll let you know how they feel both on street & track [i'm too lazy to switch them and not terribly worried about the noise] after my WGI event.

Our spring is slowly progressing.  Many of the trees have buds, grass is greening after it's winter hibernation and we should be in full bloom in the coming weeks.  Our 117th annual "Lilac festival" kicks off in about 2 weeks and it appears as though the Lilacs will cooperate!

David

Edited by 1 tuff z

• 3 weeks later...

Returned from my 3 day event at WGI with the BMW club, Genesee Valley Chapter.  i now function as the intermediate & advanced group lead instructor, title bigger than the actual job.  

New BFG tires are no sticker than the old Yoko's but retain the same predictability-which I tested a few times.  A couple of the other instructors commented to me over the weekend how they enjoyed seeing the old Z "sliding around" the track and how nicely it rotates.  Funny, I thought that was normal...

Brakes are fantastic -  Raybestos ST43's.  A bit noisy on the steet, which is great as I pull to a stop light.  They require zero warm-up, right now grip all the time, easy to modulate and I wasn't able to explore all they have [chickened out of going too deep just yet] but will experiment more at the next event.

Turned 24,000 miles on the swap on my way to the track and so glad I did the LSx swap and grateful for all the help I've received from the collective Z brain trust here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...