HybridZ

Oil preference for NWC T5 Transmission

Zmanco

I'm getting ready to swap to a T5 out of a 280zxt and wanted to hear what others running with it think of the two approved oils.

Background: Nissan specs both Dexron and 80W90 gear oil as acceptable for the non-world class T5. From what I've read, some people had problems with 3-4 shifts with 80W90 that went away when they switched to Dexron.

I'm curious what others are running and your experience with shifting, both at the track and on cold days.

280ZX FSM Recommended Fuels and Lubricants.pdf

I use Redline MTL in mine. Shifts nice and it is approved for the yellow metals in these transmissions. I tried the Swepco and trans fluid mix in it before, but it made the shifting more notchy. I think you would be good with MTL or MT90.

I use Redline MTL in mine. Shifts nice and it is approved for the yellow metals in these transmissions. I tried the Swepco and trans fluid mix in it before, but it made the shifting more notchy. I think you would be good with MTL or MT90.

I use MT90 in the NWC in my Z31 and Highly recommend it

It shifts really nicely, I use Redline for all my Gear oils

That's what I use as well.

Interesting that no one is using ATF. The Redline website specifically calls out that their ATF is used in T5s.

Are you all running aftermarket shifters? The stock one feels fine to me, at least shifting it on the bench. My plan is to install it and upgrade the shifter if I'm unhappy with the stock one. I had my eye on this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=360452098648 if I go that route.

Interesting that no one is using ATF. The Redline website specifically calls out that their ATF is used in T5s.

Are you all running aftermarket shifters? The stock one feels fine to me, at least shifting it on the bench. My plan is to install it and upgrade the shifter if I'm unhappy with the stock one. I had my eye on this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=360452098648 if I go that route.

Maybe the Redline ATF is appropriate, but I referenced the Nissan service manual and it calls for 80/90 weight, so I just used the Redline synthetic substitute for that.

You might want to look at the shifter 30 ounce is using, or the B&M for the T5, which I use - they both have more offset back than the Hurst, and you will need it unless you have long arms.....5th is still a little hard to hit for me as the shifter location is a bit forward as mounted in the S30.

You might want to decide on the shifter before you install it. I don't think it's possible to install the shifter from the top. You will need to drop the transmission again. I will try to make the drive to Nederland this weekend. Are you going?

I've read that there are hundreds of different models of T5, with different synchros, gear sets, etc. "T5" alone doesn't mean much. There are even two different "T5"s used in the ZX series,the FS5R30A and the FS5R90A. There is also an assumption that Nissan meant ATF when they specified "Dexron" in the FSM. Dexron is just a tradename, not a grade of oil. Many ways to get things wrong.

You might want to decide on the shifter before you install it. I don't think it's possible to install the shifter from the top. You will need to drop the transmission again. I will try to make the drive to Nederland this weekend. Are you going?

Yes, your description is causing me to rethink it - don't want to pull the tranny down a second time.

And yes, I'm planning on Nederland on Sunday. Would be good to see what you've been up to over the winter as well as your shifter.

I'm using Amsoil Manual Transmission 75w-90 in mine. Works fantastic! The main thing I found out about the T5 is to NOT use a GL-5 rated fluid as it has properties that are bad for "yellow metals" (brass synchros). GL-4 is what you are looking for. I found this out the hard way once...

Yes, your description is causing me to rethink it - don't want to pull the tranny down a second time.

And yes, I'm planning on Nederland on Sunday. Would be good to see what you've been up to over the winter as well as your shifter.

I took a photo of my shifter and how it sits in the tunnel.

IMG_20120422_220057.jpg

As you can see, the front shifter mounting bolts are under the sheet metal, and they have about 1" of clearance to the top of the tunnel. I was able to remove the crossmember and drop the transmission at the rear, pivoting on the engine mounts, to get enough access to install the shifter.