HybridZ

Looking for advice on EFI 302 conversion into 240z

I have been researching this forum for a bit, and have read a lot of very helpful information. I will be converting to a 302 (5.0 from 89-92 with mass air flow), and was wondering if anyone has a tried and true suggestion for the electrical side of things.

I'm going to fortify the engine with better piston rings, head gasket, head work and upgraded cams - and adding a Nitrous Express kit (100-200). I will be using the Laine kit, and am needing some advice on which ECM to either swap or if there is a piggy back option, and wiring adaptor someone has already made.

I saw the tach converter from Laine, but wonder if that will suffice on this generation of 302. Thanks in advance.

I used to work as a ford dealer tech.There is a ford manual called evtm-it is the wiring diagram book.get 1 for the year of your engine and it should be very easy to wire up.There are aftermarket harness kits but I would only use this approach if I bought a motor with no harness or ecm.Wire the engine separate from the car-use the key+ and start signal from the key to trigger the ecm but power the efi system direct from the battery and ground the efi system direct to the battery.Do not depend on body grounds.The oil pressure sender and the water temp sender are common pipe thread .I run a odessey dry cell battery in the back of my car with size 0 welding cable direct to the starter -ground and positive.Plan on spending money of the fuel system.Those walbro 255lph external pumps will not suck fuel from the tank-they need to be gravity fed from a surge tank-I have had problems with these pumps on my turbo engine and switched to a bosch 044 pump mounted very low .I rebuilt my fuel system with aluminum line and lots of earl's push lock fittings and hose.There is software called tweecer to tune the ford ecm.

I used to work as a ford dealer tech.There is a ford manual called evtm-it is the wiring diagram book.get 1 for the year of your engine and it should be very easy to wire up.There are aftermarket harness kits but I would only use this approach if I bought a motor with no harness or ecm.Wire the engine separate from the car-use the key+ and start signal from the key to trigger the ecm but power the efi system direct from the battery and ground the efi system direct to the battery.Do not depend on body grounds.The oil pressure sender and the water temp sender are common pipe thread .I run a odessey dry cell battery in the back of my car with size 0 welding cable direct to the starter -ground and positive.Plan on spending money of the fuel system.Those walbro 255lph external pumps will not suck fuel from the tank-they need to be gravity fed from a surge tank-I have had problems with these pumps on my turbo engine and switched to a bosch 044 pump mounted very low .I rebuilt my fuel system with aluminum line and lots of earl's push lock fittings and hose.There is software called tweecer to tune the ford ecm.

Very good to know, thanks for the advise - do you know if 'tweecer' is a pretty reputable part? I planned on swapping in the RX7 tank as Laine had done, and switching to those lines. I know this is going to be a chunk of change, but I want to do it right and not cut any corners. I've already spent a grip on Techno Toy TUning's rear end conversion with adjustable control arms and coilovers, as this will be prepped for shows.

I took a 1983 5.0 carbed motor and installed a 1988 fuel injection setup from a thunderbird on it with computer. The book i read was this one and has full detail on how ford fuel injection works including theory and troubleshooting. After reading the book cover to cover you will be a fuel injection expert ;)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ford-fuel-injection-electronic-engine-control-charles-o-probst/1107923076?cm_mmc=google+product+search-_-q000000630-_-ford+fuel+injection+and+electronic+engine+control-_-9780837603018&ean=9780837603018&r=1

post-16845-073486500 1334962125_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kurbycar32

I took a 1983 5.0 carbed motor and installed a 1988 fuel injection setup from a thunderbird on it with computer. The book i read was this one and has full detail on how ford fuel injection works including theory and troubleshooting. After reading the book cover to cover you will be a fuel injection expert ;)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ford-fuel-injection-electronic-engine-control-charles-o-probst/1107923076?cm_mmc=google+product+search-_-q000000630-_-ford+fuel+injection+and+electronic+engine+control-_-9780837603018&ean=9780837603018&r=1

Just ordered, thx

So evidently the stock 302 block is notorious for cracking in half at more than 450 rwhp, so I looked to dart - that's it for now, at the cost of the dart, it'll be a few months before making a move, but will be posting my build from a to z when all my goodies come in.

• 4 weeks later...