HybridZ

Ground Control Style Setup for Z31/280ZX

Hello to All

I thought I would share my 300zx adjustable Spring setup consisting of the following

2.5" Coil over Springs in OEM spring Location

100mm Steel Threaded Adjusting platforms

Spherical Ball Lower mount & spring seat

Modified Control arms with oem spring perch cut off

I wasn't happy with the typical Ground Control non-captive setup that i have seen elsewhere for the Z31.

The other issue I hoped to solve was coil over springs binding due to the Upper and lower spring seat being quite misaligned.

The 52mm ID Threaded platform sits snug on the Z31's upper mount. I then cut off the oem spring seat, cut out a piece of 3mm MS flat plate to reinforce the spring mount area and tacked it into position.

I then mapped out the Center line of the upper spring seat onto the LCA so that i could see where to position the spherical bearing in the intermediate position so that no spring binding occurred.

The spherical bearing mount is from a set of JIC Coil overs and is rated to take the weight of the car - the only change here is that it is mounted on the control arm.

My Upper shock mounts have already been section and welded 30mm further into the car so that the shock still has plenty of travel without bottoming out.

With a Trolley jack under the control arm pumped up until it lifts the car off the chassis stands

The Measurements for Middle of wheel to top of guard:

Standard height 300lb king springs = 440mm

180mm 450lb springs with keepers would fully down = 380mm

RearControlArm1.jpg

RearControlArm2.jpg

Z-coilover-1.jpg

off for tig welding and a NDT report on Saturday