HybridZ

Fuel Tank setups

My fuel tank could do with being changed, so I was thinking of getting a custom one that I could use for the current setup but that I will also be able to use for the new motor, whether it will be a V10 or an RB26DETT.

It would have to look as good as the stock tank, fill up from the stock location, hold at least as much fuel, have a decent baffle setup and be suitable for high flow fuel injection.

I was thinking of this design:

http://zclub.net/forum/attachments/s30-240z-260z-280z-tuning-upgrades/10310d1333833738-fuel-tank-options-tank1-jpg

http://zclub.net/forum/attachments/s30-240z-260z-280z-tuning-upgrades/10311d1333833738-fuel-tank-options-tank2-jpg

http://zclub.net/forum/attachments/s30-240z-260z-280z-tuning-upgrades/10312d1333833738-fuel-tank-options-tank3-jpg

I'm not sure whether to run that design which exactly replaces the stock tank, or to cut out the wheel well and move the bottom up (so you can't see it beneather the car from behing) and make it bigger.

I'm also not sure what pump setup to go for. I quite like the idea of an in tank pump setup as it saves mess outside the tank underneath the car and is probably a more simple setup but I could also go for an external pump setup which gives me the option of changing setups easily if I want/need to.

I don't want to run a fuel swirl pot idealy, but I'm not sure if thats possible, I assume a 400 - 500hp V10 or RB26 doesn't require the use of a swirl pot so long as the tank pickup is well baffled?

Also, I may have missed something, but why can't I post anywhere other than in this section of the forum?

Pictures don't work for non-members of the other forum, maybe re-host and re-link?

I've tried but I'm having trouble uploading photos. Could be to do with the slow net connection I cuurently have as I am in the middle of the Ocean and using satelite internet. I'll try again when we get Malta and get wifi in about 10 days time.

Those are some nice tanks. If it were me though I would just go with a fuel cell.

Why though, what possible advantage could that have?

If I go with a fuel cell then I'll have to fill up from inside the boot which as this will be mainly a road car I don't want to have to do, that would also mean I wouldn't be able to have a stock looking boot which is another thing I want. Most fuel cells will be the wrong size to and stick down too low at the rear, which to me doesn't look good.

I'm just interested in why you think a fuel cell would be better than a custom fuel tank setup?

• 2 weeks later...

Benefit is that it that it is much cheaper than a custom tank or even having the factory one cleaned/repaired. You can also have a filler neck installed to fill from the original location, add foam for baffles, upgrade or downgrade size fairly easily, and upgrade material or make.

With that said, that tank is gorgeous and if I had known of its existence I may have gone another route, granted I'm 100% sure it's out of my price range.

If you like the stock tank you can always take it apart, add baffles, and a sump like myron did and call it a day.

Edited by seattlejester

Benefit is that it that it is much cheaper than a custom tank or even having the factory one cleaned/repaired. You can also have a filler neck installed to fill from the original location, add foam for baffles, upgrade or downgrade size fairly easily, and upgrade material or make.

I might be able to adapt one to fill from the original location but the only real benifit I can see of a fuel cell is the price, which may be a big one as I haven't checked what they want to make that tank to my specs yet.

It will be made from alloy, fill from the original location, have an in tank pump that will be well baffled and I have the option to add foam so really I have all the options from a fuel cell and more but it ends up costing a lot more.

If you like the stock tank you can always take it apart, add baffles, and a sump like myron did and call it a day.

I like the shape of the stock tank and wouldn't mind keeping it, but its got rust inside and out which may be too much to repair and then I'd also have to add baffles and sump so it would be a lot for a tank which might not last more than a few years.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/104840-260z-in-tank-fuel-pump/

This is what i have in my car right now. I have a rb25 and this setup hasn't given me any problems yet.

Might have been an option if my tank was in better shape. Also I was hoping for better baffling than that (thinking trap door setup) just to make sure I have no problems on track, better safe than sorry.

Can we talk about fuel cell foam for a bit? I've never used any. I hear it breaks down quickly and has to be changed frequently. When it breaks down, does it get nasty and fill the tank, lines and filters with snot? I have a stock tank that I modified with a baffle/sump around my fuel pickup. Well, I still get fuel starvation on turns when the tank is low. Do you think I could add foam to help with that? Would I put foam in the sump, outside the sump? How do I keep foam from interfering with the fuel sender float? I put an access panel on the top of the tank, so I could get foam in without much more trouble than dropping the tank (which I'm getting good at).

Here are the photos:

tank2.jpg

tank1.jpg

tank3.jpg

I wonder how much would a beautiful tank like that cost? I ended up customizing my original tank. I had it boiled out and cleaned. Bought a sump from SummitRacing.com and had someone fab a baffle inside with the sump. I took it back to get coated on the inside and had it pressure tested.

Ugly picture but at least you get to see what I did.

207902_2030463161023_1227425926_32552225_5691504_n.jpg

248579_2128905782027_1227425926_32687041_2419850_n.jpg

I only ran one line because it's all I need for my current setup. When I need more fuel I'll run two fuel pumps.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll update when I get more done on this, I won't be ordering for a while as I won't be at home for another 5 - 6 months.

Definitly thinking about getting one like the photos I posted but with an in tank Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump. That should be more than good enouth to run any engine conversion that I'll be doing.

For the cheap cells, you just stuff the foam into the tank, they're very porous so they take up space while still allowing almost the same volume, and fluid movement dampening.

I've heard the foam starts to deteriorate after a few years (crumbles, not neccessarily melts) but as long as you have a filter it should be fine. With that said, I didn't order any foam as I knew mine wouldn't be ready for fuel for a few years.

I think it was itzgoten's tank I was thinking of, not myrons? But regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing that custom tank!