HybridZ

ford V6

powermonger

Times are a changing! Might have to rethink my engine options. Took a quick trip from the Bay Area to Lake Tahoe with my wife. On the way we passed a blue 73Z. The driver wanted to play which was O.K. because I have an LT-1 and about 400+ hp. Bottom line is that he left me in the dust. The wife spotted his Z parked at the local McDonalds in Truckee so we pulled over ...out of curiosity more than anything. Turns out that he has a 2011 Ford 3.7L V6 with the 6 speed automatic. Has anyone else seen this Z and is he really stock as he maintains?

I used to be a ford dealer tech but got out in 2007 .I had to do some home study on this engine.Found the specs here http://www.meadowlandford.com/ford-3.7l-engine-specs.htm Seems it is a base f150 truck engine.the 6 speed auto would keep the engine in a tight rpm range right where it produces its best power.10.5/1 compression and can run on 87 octane or e85?That z is probably getting 30 mpg on cheap gas.Cam running on bucket cam followers like a motorcycle valvetrain.Since this engine didnt come out of a performance car it will be cheap to buy .found out it is also used in a mustang with a manual trans.This is what hybrid z is really about-taking a chance and doing something different-not following the crowd.

I used to be a ford dealer tech but got out in 2007 .I had to do some home study on this engine.Found the specs here http://www.meadowlan...ngine-specs.htm Seems it is a base f150 truck engine.the 6 speed auto would keep the engine in a tight rpm range right where it produces its best power.10.5/1 compression and can run on 87 octane or e85?That z is probably getting 30 mpg on cheap gas.Cam running on bucket cam followers like a motorcycle valvetrain.Since this engine didnt come out of a performance car it will be cheap to buy .found out it is also used in a mustang with a manual trans.This is what hybrid z is really about-taking a chance and doing something different-not following the crowd.

Yea, you bet that Z would be quick. The v6 Mustang is very quick. Most auto mags put the 1/4 mile times in the 13th and around 102-105mph with the 6 speed automatic. This is MotorTrend's take on the 2011 Mustang. A lighter Z with a 6 speed automatic may very well be a 12 second...110mph toy..... stock.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Still though, nearly a 100hp difference and the guy walked away? Either there was quite a weight difference (totally possible) or there wasn't quite a HP difference.

I'd love to see pictures though! If he's a member here I've never seen anything on the swap. Props out to him!

• 1 month later...

The 3.5 gtdi engine is a possibility. It would have an intercooler though. they make more hp and tq in the f150 version and come with the 6 speed auto. they make over 400 ft lb of torque from only 1200rpm. they are faster than the 6.2 by a little. the eng is Direct inj and has 10:1 compression and 2 small turbos that spool up at 1000rpm making huge torque early but the turbos max out early too.

• 2 months later...

Yea, you bet that Z would be quick. The v6 Mustang is very quick. Most auto mags put the 1/4 mile times in the 13th and around 102-105mph with the 6 speed automatic. This is MotorTrend's take on the 2011 Mustang. A lighter Z with a 6 speed automatic may very well be a 12 second...110mph toy..... stock.

G

Check out you tube. Those engines in turbo charged form are getting over 700 horsepower and there has been at least one 3500 lb V6 that has broke into 9 seconds. This is hard for me to understand but with no power steering pump or fan blades to draw power,the 6R80 close ration transmission and extremely light weight it is understandable. Wonder what the Z conversion would do with the light weight?

So the only exterior dimensions I could find on the 3.7 were not official. From pace performance a Lq4 truck engine(we know the trock intake is too tall) is 29" long, 24.7 W, and 28" tall. We know these engines fit with a shorter intake(ls). The 3.7L dimensions I found posted were 23" W, so width should work(non-turbo), 23"L,and 29" tall. It does look like a tall engine with the honkin' intake it has on top. If there were some other intake solution then possibly, or if you went with a tall cowl hood. I am not sure what kind of width the turbo's would have.

• 11 months later...

The best way do attack the electrical is with a ford manual called the evtm.You need the book for the car that the engine was pulled from. Google Helm Inc for this book.You will probably have to get some kind of software and a cable kit to reprogram the ecm to operate with some of the sensors missing-like the evap system on the fuel tank.It would be nice if somebody had a plug&play harness an ecm that came tune-able with a software kit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best way do attack the electrical is with a ford manual called the evtm.You need the book for the car that the engine was pulled from. Google Helm Inc for this book.You will probably have to get some kind of software and a cable kit to reprogram the ecm to operate with some of the sensors missing-like the evap system on the fuel tank.It would be nice if somebody had a plug&play harness an ecm that came tune-able with a software kit.

I rewired my 4.6 4V cobra motor in  my 93 coupe. PATS was the only big issue. Just get the wiring needed eliminate the rest. You can get a chip burnt from SCT and eliminate or turn everything off you don't need. Would probably have to get the pedal assembly for the drive by wire.

bjhines : well there a lot of variables in that question.