HybridZ

1977 302 for my 83 280ZX??????????????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all, I am new to this site and I had no idea that ford v8s were popular with Z's. Anyway my neighbor builds up older mustangs and has a 77 302 a 4 spd tranny on it. Would this be worth putting in my car? I didn't think that the late seventies eight cyl. motors made that much hp. If it is worth my time and I can squeeze some power out of it who would I get in touch with to buy motor and tranny mounts? I didn't even know they were made for fabbing into Z's! Any info would be greatly appreciated...

The term "popular" is a little misleading. Out of all the conversions in this forum, It would be an overstatement that even 10% of our members have a Ford conversion vs the GM swaps. With that said, I would still do it again with a Ford (289/302)due to it's slightly smaller dimensions, significant weight savings, and yes, even giving up the 50 cubes on average. If this 4 speed is a top loader, then I'm not sure you will find any mounts made for it (or even a t-5 for that fact). One of our members did or is making motor mounts it think. Check the "search" for this (he may also reply here too). I chose a more complicated mounting system of motor plates, which has it's own advantages depending on what your goal is, but wouldn't recommend this for a daily driver. Lastly, welcome to HybridZ, and especially to the Ford side of the fence (we really have no fences here). 2thumbs.gif

Guest bobs302z

it is good to see some more interest in the ford crowd Iam in the process of a 302 z build this wed site and some hard work will be rewarding .i cant wait to get mine on the road I did a complete rebuilt every nut and bolt of the car .I have it back on the wheels hoping to have my motor back from machine shop next week(302 with 351 heads,com cam ,carberated around 300hp)I think the most important thing to do is get as much info together as posible make a buget and have fun with it I did homework for a year and started buying parts a little every month so I wasnt hit to hard all at once .Good luck

Welcome it is good to see another ford person around. Don't believe the chevy guys that fords are hard or real expensive to build. You can get 400hp out of a 302 without too much work, more would more work and harder to live with.

If you want more cubes than a 302 can muster a 351 is only a little bigger and it still weighs less than a chevy, 50lbs or so.

As far as motor mounts go you can use setback plates like jtr(chevs), you can use motor plates like Terry does (click on members rides), you can do something like scca does or something like alsil? did and has documented.

Click search in the forums for ford motor mounts and see what you get. It is pretty easy to get them mounted but you have to think about what you want and then get creative.

I will be doing something a little diffrent for my mounts. I am using piece of angle welded to the angle I am going to weld to the frame rail, to make it stronger.

DP