HybridZ

rookie mistake- drained transmission fluid without checking the fill plug

yep i did it, after being told to always check the fill plug first. the fill plug is now toast, its impossible at this point to remove it. i have a 82 n/a manual.

first thing i found was to fill thru the reverse switch indictor sensor, which im guessing is stripped, either it takes a special sensor socket, or its stripped because a 19mm wrench will not work on it, and 18mm and 11/16th will not fit. so now the reverse sensor is stripped.

ive also heard of filling thru the transmission shifter, so i removed the shifter out and poured fluid in the socket that it goes into and fluid doesnt go anywhere "im i doing this wrong?"

there was a small bolt to the left of the shifter but on the side a little lower when sitting in the drivers seat, i took it out, theyre was a spring in there and i put a VERY long zip tie in there and it doesnt lead into the transmission.

what are my options at this point, ive read all the posts on this and most people figure out this problem with the reverse sender sensor, im gonna try this if i have to what do you guys think.

i took out the speedometer gear towards the rear of the car and i want to take it to my buddies lift and lift up just the rear end of the car, til the front bumper is pretty much touching the ground and then fill in exactly 4.25 pints of fluid "which ive read is the perfect amount?", im hoping this will work because its pretty much my only shot if i dont wanna drop the trans. any help would be much appreciated

So you have an fs5w71b? Im not sure how you stripped out the plug, its not impossible to remove anything. If you have stripped out the 1/2" hole, the maybe you can try the old hammer and chisel method. Make sure the chisel is dull so it doesnt shave off any metal. You could fill through the speedo cog if you can figure out a way to keep the fluid in there while you put the cog back in. You will also have to find something that fits snug into the cog hole so the fluid doesnt run out while you are filling it. There is also the option of removing the tranny and working on it. You could take it out fix all your uh ohs, re install and then fill it. As far as you stripping out the reverse switch get a pipe wrench and use another length of pipe on the wrench so you can get soem good leverage, I guarantee you 100% that the switch will come out. Above all have patience, if you get into a project like this and things go the wrong way simply walk away gather yourself and come back with a free mind. It also helps sometimes to invite a friend to come help, turn on some music and grab a few and I stress a few cold beers and make it a learning experience. Good luck!!! ;)

oh for heavens sake, just put some decent sized vise grips on the reverse switch plug and use a hammer on the wrench to help it break free. Its nothing special and rarely tight. The correct size for it is 19mm but the flats on the body are a bit in-distinct. Disconnect the two wire bullets and put the box end of the wrench over the wires and onto the hex of the switch and try that first.

• 2 weeks later...

finally gave up and took it to a small local shop, guy put a huge nut around the broken/stripped fill plug and then welded the inside of the nut around the protruding fill plug and used a huge wrench to get it off. he made it look easy, cost me $35.

Apparently nobody told you about filling through the plastic vent after carefully removing it--and that's where your magic fill number comes into play!

A hint for reassembly: use loctite PST and no more than 1/4 turn from finger-tight!

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heating it to release sealant. Heating it to release sealant. Heating it to release sealant.

Reinstall properly, do not overtorque. Reinstall properly, do not overtorque. Reinstall properly, do not overtorque.