HybridZ

75 distributor in 73 datsun

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you checked timing? If it runs, then coil and module are probably doing their jobs. If you put the second pickup in its original spot, the timing wil be off. And what do you mean by "not well"? Could mean almost anything.

The first module might have died due to poor grounding. They need a good solid ground for the coil current. Your sheet metal screw in to the fender may not be good enough. I'm not a transistor or ignition expert, but these are the basics for the GM HEI module.

Pretty sure that the pickups are identical.

It was running really really rough to the point it would only stay alive with the throttle all the way down shook the car like it was trying to take off. I placed the secondary pickup in the location of the first. I did run a grounding strap from the module to the block to insure good ground. The tach was reading 1k rpm not sure how accurate it is right now though. Coil and module are defiantly good as verified by swapping the secondary pick up in.I just have to fine tune the timing again. Not sure what the deal is, I have removed the distributor and tried timing at 10 before zero on the pulley marks and about ten after as well as zero. I am beginning to wonder how screwed the carbs are it always ran rich smoked allot never could reduce that so I think I have several issues feeding off of each other. The first coil was obscenely hot after leaving the key on to test everything burned me several time because I never seem to learn the first few times, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

So in conclusion the timing chain was out of time and incorrectly installed and wore out. I replaced the distributor drive shaft, oil pump, timing chain,cool.gif and added a racing dampener as well as purchasing a cardone 280 zx distributor and accel coil. The car now runs like a top and all timing issue's are resolved.