HybridZ

Red Zed Build Thread

MikeyM

Clever cookies will realise they're similar in looks to the Mckinney mounts but I've not taken any measurements from their mounts, it's all been designed by me.

So not a lot of actual work. But that's gonna change this weekend surely

What everyone forgets that BUSINESS people have overhead to cover We need almost 30 k a month to cover it before I make a dallor. if you build it in your garage you need ZERO dallor to make a buck. Just our Insurance on parts cost over 5k a month. So yes you can make them cheaper.[/quote/ a design or process paient can cost up-works of 10K and the cost thousand to enforce.

So Fast-Datsun, Does this mean that so long as he's not selling these productionwise to directly compete with you that it's no big deal that he built his own, or if he releases his version of the design files to the public? I realize that yours is not patented either, and that were anyone to directly copy your design that you may be able to build a case against them. But in this case he's designed a similar product using similar design features, which is his to do as he likes with it. Just as would be, if anyone were to design their own engine mounts in any other configuration.

I realize that you have a business, and that it's costly to run that business. But affordability of products, or the lack thereof, will promote creation of new products by others.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always planned to share the drawings with anyone who wants them, so here you go. These are the three parts which make up the mounts themselves, to make one mount you need to cut 2 x mount_upright.dxf

mount_back.dxf

mount_base.dxf

mount_upright.dxf

This will give you one of these:

Screenshot2012-07-04at51156PM.png

mount_back will then need a bend put in it to follow the contour of mount_upright and then cut the excess off.

These drawings are slightly different from the ones I used; they include last-minute changes I did with the angle grinder. I'd also consider moving mount_base closer to mount_upright in the future, this would allow you to keep the steering shaft where it is if you ran the factory exhaust manifolds.

I also have a diagram with measurements needed to make the new crossmember.

IMAG0192.jpg

The isolators I used are from a '70s Ford Cortina I think. They're 70mm x 35mm. I've lost the part number but this one is similar.

I think its awesome that you fabricated these up yourself. It gives all us DIYers out there something to look up to. It obviously took a lot of time and effort to get all these measurements and put these files together, not to mention welding them all up to look as nice as they do. Very nice.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been pretty slack on the updates, but things have been happening!

Took guard off and fixed some rust.

IMG_20120724_203056-1.jpg

IMG_20120729_165139.jpg

IMG_20120731_215904.jpg

IMG_20120805_182909.jpg

IMG_20120809_211713.jpg

^^ I know it looks like my car is being held up by a pile of old bricks, but I assure you it's not.

Chipping away...

IMG_20120811_134127.jpg

IMG_20120811_134151.jpg

Modified headers to clear firewall/framerail.

IMG_20120811_134434.jpg

I painted all my suspension stuff with 2 pack

IMG_20120820_180501.jpg

Chris did some more weldy weld weld weld. I relocated the fuel reg.

IMG_20120827_210136-1.jpg

I put new brakes together

IMG_20120825_135037.jpg

IMG_20120825_135101.jpg

IMG_20120825_135113.jpg

IMG_20120825_135815.jpg

They're R32 GTR brakes, the rotors are brand new curved-vane Wilwood rotors 296mm x 32mm which I got for a very reasonable price from Pedey.

Last night represents the a turning point in the swap - there's no more stuff to take off the car - from now on I'll only be putting things back on. YAY!

Rust under the drivers side guard is way better than the passengers side, so that's nice.

If things go really well on Satuday I might have everything in primer. (Nothing ever goes that well now thou does it?)

I've been pretty slack on the updates, but things have been happening!

Took guard off and fixed some rust.

^^ I know it looks like my car is being held up by a pile of old bricks, but I assure you it's not.

Chipping away...

Modified headers to clear firewall/framerail.

I painted all my suspension stuff with 2 pack

Chris did some more weldy weld weld weld. I relocated the fuel reg.

I put new brakes together

IMG_20120825_135101.jpg

They're R32 GTR brakes, the rotors are brand new curved-vane Wilwood rotors 296mm x 32mm which I got for a very reasonable price from Pedey.

Last night represents the a turning point in the swap - there's no more stuff to take off the car - from now on I'll only be putting things back on. YAY!

Rust under the drivers side guard is way better than the passengers side, so that's nice.

If things go really well on Satuday I might have everything in primer. (Nothing ever goes that well now thou does it?)

Are those copper brake lines?

R32 brakes? Do those bolt up, or do you have to use some kind of brackets? You're really coming along on your project. It's looking awesome. Is there a reason for the FPR to be mounted on the driverside? I thought the VQ35DE had a right hand fuel connection? Your headers look awesome. Are you bolting to the stock Cats, or running open pipe back?

How was pulling out the windshield? I'm horribly afraid of cracking mine.

Yeah, thanks man. The brakes do need a bracket, but I've made a digital drawing of it which you're welcome to have. Then you can just send it away to get cut out.

You're right about the VQ fuel being on the other side. The fpr is actually on the passenger side (right hand drive in new Zealand), I've put it there because their simply isn't any room amongst the master cylinders and stuff.

I'll be removing the first damper from the fuel rail which means the soft line isn't too far from the fpr.

I'll not be running the cats.

The windscreen was really easy, just apply a bit of pressure from the inside with your foot and peel back the rubber a little and it'll slide out. Really easy.

I wrote a longer reply, but the internet ate it. I was saying, Sure I'd love to see your bracket drawings, though the availibilty of the R32 parts here in the states might be a little more difficult. I might try using Z32 calipers if not the Toyota setup. I'd really like to use Z34 Brembo's but those are a bit pricy.

Your Fuel setup: Perhaps you could swap your fuel rails 180 degrees. the Injectors don't care, and you'd have your input not only on the right side, but also moved rear on the engine. It might take some bracket work though.

Thanks for the reassurance on the Windshield, I've never removed one before, and this one's been in there since 78'.

Not running Cats okay, well you might need to mount your downstream O2 sensor in a tube so that you won't have mixture CEL issues.

Phar

Oh yeah, good idea flipping the fuel line, I'll do that.

I'm a little unsure about the downstream O2 sensors. Are they actually required? I've heard mixed reports. My engine didn't come with with them either.

According to the fsm:

MIXTURE RATIO FEEDBACK CONTROL (CLOSED LOOP CONTROL) SEF503YB

The mixture ratio feedback system provides the best air-fuel mixture ratio for driveability and emission control. The three way catalyst 1 can then better reduce CO, HC and NOx emissions. This system uses air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor 1 in the exhaust manifold to monitor whether the engine operation is rich or lean. The ECM adjusts the injection pulse width according to the sensor voltage signal

It goes on more about mixture self learning, but doesn't mention af sensor 2.

Also, under "Multiport Fuel Injection (MFI) System" it says "[heated oxygen sensor 2] is not used to control the engine system under normal conditions."

Are other people using the downstream sensors?

Most people leave them in but I know you'll get a CEL if there's no difference after the Cats (look up 350Z cat delete/test pipe issues) A lot of people put them in a tube which moves them away from the exhaust flow. I didn't see exactly what the results were, but some people had noted the car went into Limp mode. It's hard to say what the effects of leaving it out would be. I guess you could try it and see how it behaves.

• 3 weeks later...

Bay's painted. Everything looks pink but I think/hope it's just my camera being silly.

IMG_20120915_172856.jpg

IMG_20120916_183101.jpg

Fuel/brake/clutch lines (mostly) in. I'm using the 350z clutch master.

IMG_20120926_212838.jpg

Added another steering uni and rose joint to clear the exhaust/mounts

IMG_20120920_220105.jpg

The gearbox came with this relocation bracket which puts the shifter too far back.

IMG_20120917_182013.jpg

So I cut that shaft out between the two uni's and welded the unis together, then made another bracket.

IMG_20120925_211302.jpg

IMG_20120926_212800.jpg

I also just dropped the engine in for the final time last night.

IMG_20120927_194735.jpg

Bought a new airdam

IMG_20120926_150231.jpg

It'll look a little like this

775714f3.jpg

My goal is to have it ready for a cruise on Nov 3rd. I reckon it's touch and go. The plan is to start wiring this weekend. Send driveshaft away to get shortened, put everything back together and then finally drop it off at ttt to get the exhaust made.

It's a lot more fun putting a car back together than pulling it apart! ho ho

Righto, the engine's in and various bits and pieces hooked up.

IMG_20120930_171547.jpg

I now have a shifter again! The position feels pretty good but I may move it a little closer to the floor.

IMG_20120930_171613.jpg

And I swapped the 11.75" rotors for 12.19" ones which means I have a lot more braking area. I will need to make new brackets to locate the caliper 2mm closer to the hub but will run it as is for now.

IMG_20120930_171716.jpg

Next tasks are wiring and put the suspension & steering back together.

• 4 weeks later...

hehe, nice "Real Doll" tag on the box back there...

Your care is looking pretty awesome. I can't wait to get to the reassymbly stage. (Neither can my wife) I'm still stripping paint. I'm probably going to switch to the aircraft stripper. My daughter is still taking the bulk of my spare time lately though.

hehe, nice "Real Doll" tag on the box back there...

Your care is looking pretty awesome. I can't wait to get to the reassymbly stage. (Neither can my wife) I'm still stripping paint. I'm probably going to switch to the aircraft stripper. My daughter is still taking the bulk of my spare time lately though.

Ha, yes, my workmates played a joke on me and put the "Real Doll" logo on the box my air dam came in. ha ha.

It is start to come together now. I've got a deadline of having it running by next weekend so I'm pulling all nighters. My wife isn't stoked I'm hardly seeing her but it'll be done pretty quick. Stay tuned!

I reckon there's a 10% chance I'll be ready to roll for hahei. So I made a list and I'll give it a bloody good nudge!

Stuff I need for hahei:

* Get driveshaft made - should be ready by Friday

* Get ex haust made - check with TTT when the can fit it in, hopefully next Friday

* Put Windscreen back in, bonnet on - Tuesday

* Fashion MAF housing from drainpipe - Tuesday

* Assemble front suspension and steering - Wednesday & Thursday

* Reinforce floor around trans mount - Saturday

* Electric radiator fan - anything from pickapart, Saturday

* Reflash ecu - STM next weekend?

* Assemble axles and drivetrain - Sunday

* Assemble front body - Next Monday & Tuesday

* Get wheel spacers to clear brakes - Some on trademe, need guards on first to check fitment

* Bleed brakes & clutch, Put oil in diff & gearbox - Next Wednesday

* Fix Leak in fuel filler neck - Next Thursday

* Mount accelerator pedal

Stuff that can wait:

* Fashion shifter boot

* Fix rust in roof

* Speedo

* Tacho

* Coolant gauge

* Oil pressure gauge

* Fix rust in guards

* Paint airdam

* Mount fuse box and ECU

* Sort out radiator - can probably use stock one for now

Edited by MikeyM

Got a fair bit done today, picked up the new driveshaft and put it in along with the axles.

IMG_20121027_114927.jpg

Reinforced the floor above the trans mounts.

IMG_20121027_151243.jpg

Put the guards back on. replaced a bit of rusty steel on one of them.

IMG_20121027_224406.jpg

I also managed o read the DTC's from the ECU, it is throwing NATS errors which is good because it explains why it's not starting AND STM are coming around tomorrow to reflash it and turn NATS off YAY!