HybridZ

Installing wire for electric fuel pump for '72 240z

tamo3

I would like to install Carter GP4070, electrical fuel pump to my '72 240z.

CRT-P4070.jpg

I would like to put triple Weber 45 DCOE in near future.

Does anyone have photo where the wire should go though?

Also, where should I put wire come from?

Do I need relay for this?

If someone has wiring diagram, I really appropriate it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

tamo3

Do a search.

Here is a post to get you started: http://forums.hybrid...__1#entry894170

You should also consider using an oil pressure cut off switch with the electric fuel pump for safety.

A relay is recommended to take the load off the wiring and provide max voltage to the fuel pump.

I use a tap off of the ignition circuit to trigger a relay with the relay output connected to the green wire mentioned in the above post. The green wire can be located in a harness just above the passeneger side kick panel. The green wire has a bullit connector just above the kick panel that you can use to connect the relay output. The green wire terminates along with a black ground wire in a taped up bundle next to the fuel tank sending unit. Evidently some 240Zs were fitted with electric fuel pumps.

Keep searching and you will find that others have worked out the details.

Edited by Miles

Thanks Miles, BluDestiny. I did search, but I missed this one.

I already got SummitRacing SUM-G1438 as a oil pressure cut off switch. I need to study where I should put it. Should I put it near fuel pump or near ignition key.

I will look for Green/black wire on passenger side.

tamo3

Edited by tamo3

See picture for a example oil pressure switch installation.

The picture is from my SBC V8, but the approach is the same. Note in the picture that I am using a 240Z oil pressure switch.

The plumbing consists of 1/8 NPT brass nipple, "T", and elbow fittings.

The 1/8 NPT threads are close enough to the metric Datsun pressure switch threads you can screw the pipe fitting into the switch using some teflon plumbers tape.

The electrical hook up is to run your relay trigger voltage (ignition tap or direct wire from a switch) to one side of the oil pressure switch. From the other side of the pressure switch run a wire to the trigger side of your relay. I prefer the ignition tap as a trigger since when the ignition is off so is the fuel pump and there is a position on the ignition switch just before the start position which will energize the fuel pump before cranking the engine. Helps when the car has been sitting for awhile.

The output from the relay goes to the fuel pump. Connect the relay output to the Datsun green wire to power the fuel pump. I used a Painless fuel pump Relay kit and mounted the relay inside the car on the passenger side requiring only a short run to connect to the green wire. This location is clean and allows for the easy removal of the relay to frustrate theives. This location also keeps the power wire from the battery to the relay short.

Some people mount the relay in the passenger side tool storage box.

post-178-008769800 1337195276_thumb.jpg