HybridZ

Hill climb set-up?

Ran an autox today with the droop limiters and new rear control arms. Nothing fell off so thats good. Seemed very smooth to apply power so definitely liked that. I drove like ass so its hard to say much else.

I continue to struggle with the back end wanting to lead between turn in and mid corner going into slower corners. There are no corners like that a Dragon so its not an issue there but most tracks have a turn or two like that and Autox have plenty. No rear swaybar and plenty of rear toe in so not sure whats causing it.

I want to apologize ahead of time as I full admit this may very well indeed be a ignant thing to ask- and want to express that my intent is NOT to offend in any, way, shape, or form- But merely devise a possible solution based on what Ive seen "usually" cause that symptom for quite a few people Ive encountered.

Is it possible youre over-driving the car on entry?  I frequently tell people to slow down to go fast, and rarely do I mean just on the throttle.  Its super easy to try and turn in as hard/as quick as you can- Especially on low speed turns where the cars tend to "respond" better and the amount of grip up front can let you do it.  Is it possible that youre simply turning in too fast?  If you have treid slowing down your inputs on the wheel, may I ask how your trail braking is?  Unless I missed something major, the bulk of your set up I saw would lead me to believe you should have a pretty confident setup that tends towards under steer and should really give you a good amount of traction to hook up/shoot out of a corners exit.

Sideways - could be (most likely) an influence but there's something in the set-up thats off and exagerating it. For years I struggled with the front end pushing on slow turns like I described (most certainly over drive was a contributor) but now Its moved to almost uncontrollable tail happiness. I agree that driver is a huge contributor but I've been doing this long enough in this car to want to keep optimizing the set-up in addition to keep learning the nut behind the wheel.

More I think about it, first I remember this was after I added that last degree of caster. Forgot about that. Maybe I need to take some caster back out.

I had trouble keeping the as_ of my car under me early this season-first season with the V8. I tried softer shock setting, lower tire pressures in back, dropping the tail to give more camber, etc-nothing helped. Two things fixed it: 1) Hoosiers, 2) decreased the rate of pedal input to throttle plate movement. I have drive by wire, and my tuner reduced sensitivity from 100% (stock setting) to 35% (lowest setting). Settled car down a lot.

Ran an autox today with the droop limiters and new rear control arms. Nothing fell off so thats good. Seemed very smooth to apply power so definitely liked that. I drove like ass so its hard to say much else.

I continue to struggle with the back end wanting to lead between turn in and mid corner going into slower corners. There are no corners like that a Dragon so its not an issue there but most tracks have a turn or two like that and Autox have plenty. No rear swaybar and plenty of rear toe in so not sure whats causing it.

I'd play with the shocks some, either down in the rear or up in the front.

Looking at your photo, how much camber front and rear? In the photo of the car in your driveway, the rear of the car looks kind of high. Can you lower ride height and add negative camber in the back?

Ha - If you are referencing my avatar pic ... thats many years ago when I first brought it home.

Can independently adjust camber. Been this way with both Rivals and RS-3s at various camber settings. I'm still leaning towards too much caster. Its also off throttle. Maybe need to play with shocks which I tend to ignore.

• 3 months later...

Its that time again already! March 22&23 just three weeks away.

www.dragonhillclimb.com

Car is almost ready but still need to decide on tires. I highly recommend this event if anyone is even remotely interested its well worth it. Beatiful country, awesome people, challenging road. Cant wait.

Its that time again already! March 22&23 just three weeks away.

www.dragonhillclimb.com

Car is almost ready but still need to decide on tires. I highly recommend this event if anyone is even remotely interested its well worth it. Beatiful country, awesome people, challenging road. Cant wait.

Maybe someday.  I would love to be able to do the left coast hills.