HybridZ

351 cleveland swap

ToplessZ

Hey guys I usually am hangin on the chevy side of the board. But I just found a complete running 351 cleveland with tranny and everything for 50 bucks. I was wondering if anyone is running this if so is there any info on the swap and is it as easy as the chevy small block swap. I would love to hear some input. Thanks guys

is it a 4v or 2v, if 2v whatever its cool, 4v and you have the potential for some superpower, that thing is nuts, big block heads on a small block, that sucker is the only ford motor i would consider putting in my car, its a good one, build it up and you can spin it 8500 like a psycho!

Guest Anonymous

i thinki'm goignt ot ahve to chime in and say that other than a 2.3 turbo motor the 4V 351 cleveland would be the only ford motor i owuld want to run. like fairlady327 said those things can make some serious power for you. the onyl bad thing about the 4V is since the ports and valves are so big the low end is supposed to suffer from it but then if you are going to put it into a Z or any other car that is similar in weight i don't think it would pose any kind of problme at all.

also if it came out of a torino find out if the torino was a GT model cause i think those were the only model of torino that had the 4V cleveland.

Guest tom sixbey

i can vouch for the cleveland's power. I had one in my 71 mach1 mustang. Killer motor for revs and horsepower, but it is also VERY large and weighty - almost every bit as much so as a 429/460. I would definately buy that motor for 50 bucks, but for a zcar, i'd reccomend the aluminum head 302 because it will lighten the car up and provide you with as much horsepower as you want and more torque than the car can put to the ground. - same is true with the cleveland, but you'll take a weight hit. have fun.. cheers.gif

I have a 351C out of a Pantera that I am thinking about installing in my other Z. Right now I have a t-5 behind it, but I an going to go with an automatic overdrive instead.The cleveland is wider than a 5.0 so headers may be a problem, although Sanderson makes a block hugger header.

Good luck,

Mike D.

Mike,

You might have not as bad of a time with headers as you think, because the exhaust ports aren't vertical on those motors, they are at 45 deg angle, so it might be easier.....

Would be killer, especially for a drag car, set up with 2V heads (ported of course), C-6, big cam, 750carb, whaddya think, 12's? 11's? I think 11's easy with a killer Cam.

There goes the R200! BLAM!!

Whoops, sorry, daydreaming again! bonk.gif

2thumbs.gif

thanks guys for the info doesnt look like im going to put that in my z but im going to probably buy it. Gonna go look at it this weekend and see if its the 2v or 4v hey for 50 bucks u cant go to wrong. probably going with a 350 tpi if the guy still has it too. Ur knowledge is greatly appreciated. cheers.gif

Guest fordguy57

I have a lot of Fords, including 460 and 351C powered vehicles and agree that the 351C is quite a bit heavier than the 302 and if you can afford aluminum head motor, the 302 is probably the better motor for Z/ZX swap..either motr can put out more power than you can put to the ground anyway. But, the 351C, despite it's rather bulky appearance is a lot lighter than a 460. According to a chart Summit put out a couple years ago, it weighs the same as a SBC (not sure if that counts, exhaust, etc..). Assuming a SBC is not too heavy in iron head version for Z/ZX chassis; then 351C should be no worse weightwise. I imagine going with aluminum intakes, tubular headers, removing a/c components, etc would have same approximate lightening efect on either motor (327 Chev & 351C)... I already have good motor (351C)just pulled from '73 Mustang in favor of 460 & CJ toploader that needed to be exercised, so I am also considering putting 351C in another ZX (already have car too) along with '89 Mustang T5 I also have already sitting here (I have a 327 & toploader in first ZX..). Also. I presume you would need a rear drop oil pan, but these can be had new or used (just seek one for 400M- equipped 4x4 pickups, that truck has rear drop pan). Anybody know of anyone who has actually installed a 351C in Z or ZX, that I could ask about this? Thanks, Mike

Guest fordguy57

YES, THE 351c IS THE SMALL BLOCK BELLHOUSING PATTERN AND FLYWHEEL size(s). HOWEVER,IT HAS 28 OZ IMBALANCE; UNLIKE LATE SBF'S THAT HAVE 50 OZ. SO YOU HAVE TO USE OLD FLYWHEEL OR NEW AFTERMARKET FLYWHEEL WITH CORRECT 28 OZ IMBALANCE.) AND YES, THE 351M AND 400 HAVE SAME BELL PATTERN & FLYWHEEL SIZE AS 429/460, but has the same 28 oz imbalance as the early small block...

• 2 weeks later...

I had a '72 351 CJ - Q code - same as the 428 CJ's.

This was the prettiest/baddest small block engine Ford made (the Cleveland had the water crossover cast into the block and just used a plate to cover the timing chain - real clean, and the aluminum valve covers - like used on the Boss 302's capperd it off well).

Virtually the same weight as a 351W.

I never lacked for torque in my Mustang - even after installing a Torker intake and a 700 DP.

My brother-inlaw had a '72 454 'Vette and (before I did anything to the engine) I'd take him to 100, where he started to pull up on me (he had a 3.08 and I had a 3.25 rear gear).

A great combo would be a 351 block and the Cleveland heads - the oiling system is much better. Minor mods to head gaskets and possibly drill a few holes and you could be screamin'.

Mounts are same as 289/302 for the Cleveland. I I had one or could get one cheap I'd certainly do it!

The one problem, which could be corrected w/restrictors was the oiling system - too much went to cam.

Guest Anonymous

Personally I think the Clev is a great motor for the Z. Most people want little low end anyway (not me, give me a little low end/mid range torque for a street car anyday) on the Z's because of the light weight. The loss of torque (which is relative, we're talking V8's here and it'll still have double + the torque of a Z motor) is not very noticible because the car reacts to torque inputs so quickly (least my early Z does with a SBC it'll pickup 20 mph almost instantly with just a little squirt of gas). Love the splayed valve design, more like the BBC design from a chevy guy's perspective, kind of a 'semi-hemi' so to speak. I'd imagine breathing to 7K would be a cinch with it. Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Lone

I was having some work done to my wifes Subaru and the guy doing it is a big clevo fan. He was telling me that there is a co.in aussie thats doing a ally(sp) head now. He was saying 500 hp out of the box with the right cam. I will find out more if you want. Send me a e-mail.

Douglas

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

OLD FORD MAN --- If you can get a complete running cleveland for $50.00 buy it. BUY IT NOW. not the perfect swap for S30 but I'll buy from you for a $100.00 --- 1000% profit for you.....PM Me.

1972 240Z ----

1966 Fairlane 500----

1966 Ford Mustang----

• 4 months later...
Guest terrym

Did you find out if its the 4 barrell version , it will have a 4 casted into the head at the outside corner of the valve corner. If you look on the head itself in that area. There is a major differance between the 2 and 4v heads....lol

I myself am building a 351 windsor engine with the 4 barrel version cleavland heads on it. Home made version of the boss 302 engine only on a 351 block. Not to many people know it can be done. The cleavland heads were first made for the boss 302 then ford made the rest of the cleavland engine afterwords and used the boss 302 heads on it.

I know its an old thread but i like the topic of the old cleavland engines