HybridZ

80's 944

boarderline

I wonder if you could adapt the RB to the porsche gearbox. Maybe some kind of adapter from the crank of the RB to the shortened stock driveshaft? I have no clue how their torque tube functions, so it might prove to be quite the challenge. Then again, it may be fairly simple!

I'm sure a google on a non-porsche engine swap would turn up answers. I'd love to know!

Edit: Looks like the turque tube attaches to the clutch on the engine side of things. Perhaps you can chop up a bellhousing, retain the nissan clutch system with a disk splined to match the porsche torque tube splines.

Only a measuring tape will tell :)

8d839ac1.jpg

cableshifttrans.jpg

944transaxle.jpg?t=1282040992

944dshaft.jpg?t=1282041211

Edited by cockerstar

Dang! My Google-fu failed me.

I have seen in the past a build site for a Cosworth 4cyl engine powered 924, which is not all THAT different than the 944. but instead of using the porsche rear he chopped the tunnel to hold the gearbox from the Cosworth and fitted a different (jag?) rear diff to replace the transaxle.

Yeah I'm pretty confident the Porsche rear end would hold up to the power, I thought I heard even the N/A rears could hold over 400 horses or so. Would be a fun car in my opinion.

No. A long time customer of mine raced a Spec 944 with all of 160whp and he went through rear diffs every couple years. The S2 and the turbo cars have the upgraded rear diff. The weak point is the ring gear.

The other big issue is the driveshaft. The 944 uses a solid tube to connect the engine and transaxle keeping everything aligned properly and the driveshaft runs in that tube.

AluTorqueTube1.jpg