HybridZ

Tachometer

Reading your post reminds me that I think the polarity of the two posts are reversed for the 3 wire vs. the 4 wire? Take a closer look to see if that's the issue.

Those are hooked up correctly, this vid was a 3 wire 280z tach, same as my stock 73 240Z except light bulbs were on the 280 harness

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just took a quick look at one of the dead tachs in my bone pile and there's a metal strap that wraps under the plastic guide around the studs on the back of the tach. Because the polarity is opposite for the 3 wire (vs. the 4 wire), you have to move that strap to the other stud.

Just took a quick look at one of the dead tachs in

my bone pile and there's a metal strap that wraps under the plastic guide around the studs on the back of the tach. Because the polarity is opposite for the 3 wire (vs. the 4 wire), you have to move that strap to the other stud.

It is on the correct stud. I changed it when I tried the 4-wire tach I bought and had no luck either. The original stock tach in my car is a 3 wire, the 280 is also a 3 wire tach and that one is currently working outside of the tach housing that is in the video. I think the metal tach housing has to be grounded also. Thanks for helping