HybridZ

Tachometer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only the font, but the redline as well.

8/73 is right at the end of 240Z manufacturing. The 260Z received a 3-wire tach as part of the change-over to electronic ignition. Some very late 240Z's might have gotten 3-wire tachs as well. I remember this being discussed on classiczcars before.

Edited by Leon

You have either an early 260Z or possibly a late 240Z 3-wire tach. Should be easy to make it work (one connection to coil negative, plus power and ground).

EDIT: follow beerman's post.

Edited by Leon

Well after a few hours of checking wiring from the stock harness, switching out the 240 and 280 tach's, I finally got the 280z tach to work. I ran jumper wires to the +12v and a ground to the back of the tach, got my signal wire from the negative side of the coil, and the MOST important thing is to make sure that the mounting post are grounded as well, as soon as I did this the tach worked, even though it jumped around a bit, but I can put in a resistor on the signal wire for that. Thanks for all the knowledge who replied to this post. Oh yeah, the 280Z tach had the same hook-up that the 240z tach did, wiring harness was different though.

I don't know exactly what "does not work" means in your case, but I had a tach that stopped working after I did some ignition work (swapped my 1978 Z coil for a Z31 coil). The needle would just dance around at ~1000 RPM, obviously getting some impulses from the coil but not able to use them. I attached a condenser/capacitor to the negative post of the coil on the theory that I had some electrical noise on the blue wire to the tach. It fixed the problem, tach works perfectly and has for ~6-8 months, but I couldn't go very deep in to why.

I don't know exactly what "does not work" means in your case, but I had a tach that stopped working after I did some ignition work (swapped my 1978 Z coil for a Z31 coil). The needle would just dance around at ~1000 RPM, obviously getting some impulses from the coil but not able to use them. I attached a condenser/capacitor to the negative post of the coil on the theory that I had some electrical noise on the blue wire to the tach. It fixed the problem, tach works perfectly and has for ~6-8 months, but I couldn't go very deep in to why.

Where did you get that condenser?

It was the typical condenser used up by the coil. I think that it was 0.5 microfarads, if I remember and read my meter right (500 nanofarads). An alternator condenser would probably serve the same function (I just measured one recently and it was 0.7 mF), available at most auto parts stores. It's backyard electronics engineering though, I don't really know what I was doing. But I don't think it can hurt.

It was the typical condenser used up by the coil. I think that it was 0.5 microfarads, if I remember and read my meter right (500 nanofarads). An alternator condenser would probably serve the same function (I just measured one recently and it was 0.7 mF), available at most auto parts stores. It's backyard electronics engineering though, I don't really know what I was doing. But I don't think it can hurt.

My coil has a condenser on the positive side that is mounted to the coil bracket, I was told this was for noise reduction in the car speakers

I can't say for sure but the word "noise" may have originally been meant to refer to electrical noise and been layman termed down to mean noise though the radio speakers. A side effect of electrical noise. Electrical "noise" tends to cause problems for sensitive devices.

Anyway, I just put it out there as an option. I've also read of using a diode on the tach circuit for a similar purpose, to condition the signal to the tach.

There's probably someone out here who knows much more about electronics and electrical theory who could help, if you posted a video or gave really good description of what the tach is doing. You said "not working" in #29 but didn't give any more details.

If the needle is twitching, there's something there, you just have to find a way to use the good part of the signal and get rid of the rest.

I used to run a Pertronix on my 73 with the stock tach with no issues. It has been a long time now, but I think Beermanpete's instructions should work. You do have to make sure you get the 2 BW wires connected properly otherwise as he says, the car will run, but the tach won't work.

If you're going to replace your tach anyway, I'd recommend you switch to a later 3 wire. They are easier to find, and you can swap the internals to keep the stock faceplate and needle.

After buying 2 used 4 wire tachs that had issues, I swapped to a 3 wire and haven't had to touch it since.

Link on youtube to my tachometer guts from the 280Z working, power and ground hooked up directly to the battery and tach signal hooked up to the negative side of coil.

When I put the guts back into either the 240 or 280 tachometer, I cannot get the tachometer to work.It has to be a ground issue????