HybridZ

Lowered cars suck!

GOTHALOSISM

Guy doesn't help his argument with the generalizations and contempt for his own customers....even though he is right to a certain extent. Lowered cars don't have to suck, but I'm sure he gets the worst sort as his customers don't want to pay to fix the issues they cause.

Edited by SleeperZ

I think he is just venting, Being that I am a Nissan dealership tech myself I see the same things. 22" wheels on a dropped altima is not a fun car to try to get on a lift, god forbid on an alignment machine. I don't think he uses the same verbage with his customers.

We have to place wood blocks down to get jacks under the cars and or on the lifts, depending on the model. We let customers know in advance that they will still be charged the alignment fee, even if we can't set camber or caster. They either agree to pay it or not. Makes things go smoother for everyone involved.

He does come across a bit soap boxish. I can imagine lowered cars present a challenge, and that specific clientel that want something for nothing are frustrating. If that is the case, and he is that good, Shouldn't he be catering to a higher clientel that pays and does things right?

I have an ase master auto tech certification-and lowered cars do suck to work on.Best thing to do as a shop manager is to explain to the owner that because the car is modifieid the mitchell flat rate time manual does not apply to their car anymore and any work done will be straight time+ materials.I used to work as a suspension/brake tech in ford dealerships for 15 years.if you have done alignments and fully understand what can happen when a car is lowered(unable to adjust car to specs while on the alignment rack) you wouldnt lower a car.Changing springs usually results in a car having only 1-2" of suspension travel before the modified bump stops are hit and if it bottems out at speed the car can lose control.my z is lowered but not slammed to the ground and still has about 2.5" of travel.If I lower it more it handle worse at the track.My favorite vehicle to study is a baja race truck.24" of travel with less than 1/4" of toe change through the range of wheel travel.

Actually on a Z there are plenty of things you can do to regain suspension travel if you don't get stupid with tire size...

It involves a large hammer, and sometimes a blowtorch to persuade the offending metal to yield to your will!wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone notice he revised the article with a link to this thread?

Also added this:

P.S. To be fair, you can lower just about anything 1 inch and be pretty happy with the result. My article above is talking about the Asian/Eurotrash vehicle crowd that thinks if 1′s good 3′s better…

Which is much more reasonable. I can't think of a single car off the top of my head that can be lowered 3" without rendering it completely useless. My BMW will soon be lowered 2" and I already know I'll have to modify the rear suspension to make up for the added camber, and possibly the front as well. Another inch, and I wouldn't be able to drive it, period.

And something tells me, he actually does have people come in with cars literally slammed on the ground wondering why their **** don't work.

Eh.. I responded on the page. Typical old tech looking for something to ***** about..

I'm sure if he owned a Z it'd be subjected to what many have over the years - mile high ride height on some cheesy chrome wheels with a tacky paintjob, cowl hood and a V8. To each their own I suppose..

Edited by rnye

1338314646[/url]' post='1002143']

To make an equally stupid generalization: automotive journalists are retarded.

And I could generally agree with that. :-D

1340306274[/url]' post='1006241']

This guy is an old man with conservative taste. A true auto enthusiast appreciates all forms of all makes and models.

The article has nothing to do against a make or model but a styling preference. And I agree to an extent. If you want your car to be 3" or more lowered expect it to be a show car or expect to have issues. Don't be a whinny little tool when things don't work out right because you wanted form over function. And I feel the same way about the hellaflush and/or stance movement. Form over function is fine when it's a limited use vehicle so don't complain when you try to DD a show setup.

I had an interesting and relevant experience the other day. I was riding back to NYC from NJ on my motorcycle. It was around 8pm so there was no traffic, but all of a sudden the traffic flow was going 45mph in a 55. Eventually I saw what was causing the holdup:

A pack of VERY low 'hellaflush' cars in the slow/middle lane with their hazards on, presumably because they couldn't handle the admittedly poor sections of highway at any speed faster than 45. Now I'll admit they look cool in pictures, but that must be a pain.

A pack of VERY low 'hellaflush' cars in the slow/middle lane with their hazards on, presumably because they couldn't handle the admittedly poor sections of highway at any speed faster than 45. Now I'll admit they look cool in pictures, but that must be a pain.

Please tell me you pointed and laughed.

• 3 months later...

[sarcasm]

He pretty much had me convinced right off the bat.

"Why people have a need to take a perfectly good car and turn it into a piece of crap by lowering it is beyond me. (Street Rods excluded.)"

I mean, come on! What a fantastically good point, street rods are never horribly lowered cars OR owned by cheapskates. We are so lucky to have this experienced asset of the automotive community sharing his wisdom with us. What a blessing! Thanks for teaching all of us, old man.

P.S. I work on street rods every F'n day ;)

[/sarcasm]