HybridZ

My 82 280zx

Over the past few years I have been working on my zx, so I finally ripped the engine out to repaint the whole car. Now I am wondering what move to make next engine wise. I am currently running a stock turbo, supra 440cc injectors, intercooler with a tial b.o.v., 240sx throttle body, no egr intake, fuel rail, aeromotive fpr, walbro fp, and a few other mods. I figure that if I want to do any major changes now is the time since the motor is out. So here are a few pics of my car and I am looking for suggestions...

IMG_6014.jpg

IMG_8545.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

IMG_8178.jpg

IMG_5250.jpg

It will be painted Artic white more then likely and that color is a variation of the Skyline blue. I am probably about to part out my current setup actually. I was doing some body work and realized there is a lot more then I originally thought, so I am thinking about taking this time to build me a better setup, because I would like this to be the last tear down for a long long time. Here are some updated pics of what I have been doing.

Before:

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

How it currently sits:

IMG_0554.jpg

How it was last year at this time(I think)

280zx.jpg

And the only engine installed pic I have:

IMG_1459.jpg

I assume you're looking for suggestions for how to make more power. The two main things that are easier with the engine out are 1) bigger turbo and 2) upgraded cam. However, both will likely reduce torque at low revs from your current setup so you have to decide if that's an acceptable tradeoff. Bigger turbo will spool slower at lower revs, and likewise, a bigger cam will trade off less low rpm boost for more at higher revs.

I have a similar setup to yours with a T3/4OE turbo and Isky turbo cam. That combo doesn't yield a lot of torque at 2k rpm (although it's plenty for daily driving even though I'm at 5k+ altitude), but 3500 - 7000 rpm is very strong. My 240Z is a few hundred pounds lighter than your ZX, so not sure how much fun that combo would be for you. You could swap to a higher ratio diff (e.g. 3.7 or 3.9) which would help.

Of course, I'm assuming that you have a tuneable ECU and are not still running with the stock one, otherwise that would be the first thing I'd address.

One more thing - I recently switched back to the stock TB from the 240sx and really improved the driveability. With the bigger TB I could get full boost with less than 50% throttle so it was hard to modulate the power as the boost came on. While the stock TB doesn't feel as responsive, it doesn't feel like I lost any power, at least in terms of my butt dyno.

Dont steal my color Josh280z!! Naw go for it but that one slightly varied off the skyline blue. Actually I am going to correct myself. It is a varied shade of Nissan's Daytona blue off the 350z maybe.

And Zmanco I was not asking for ways to make more power. Sorry for the confusion. I was asking for opinions on what way to go in doing so. Example bigger turbo or swap. I can easily upgrae my turbo and have more power, however I am not sure if that is 100% what I want. Also I did forget to mention I am running megasquirt on my car as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some iphone pics of my engine bay:

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

And some pics of the quarter panel that needed repair:

This is after I welded the plate on the back and cut out part of the side:

IMG_7258.jpg

To this:

IMG_9555.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

The quarter panel is not perfect but its a good start. Sorry about the crappy iphone pics.

• 1 month later...