HybridZ

Mustang GT grille

rallyeo

Hello all -

So I've been running my car for a couple summers now with no real grille other than the stock 280z unit that only covers half the opening in front of the car. I've also had Hella 500 fog lights in there because I've always like that rallye look. Anyway, I've been looking for ideas, tried some of my own and wasn't really happy with what I came up with until I ran across this post - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/57231-custom-grill-or-grille-ideas/page__pid__839089#entry839089 where Zyler mentioned using a Mustang grille.

Before -

IMG_0310.jpg

A friend of mine at a local cruise-in happened to have one that I could have for free, so I figured why not try it? I got to his house, placed the grille in the front end and the fit was near perfect. It even fit over the Hellas without me having to move them! Here is a pic of the grille sitting in -

mustanggrille.jpg

In order to get the new grille in far enough, I did have to cut the signal light brackets out but I wasn’t using them anyway.

IMG_0333.jpg

I originally thought about buying a billet insert to cover the pony, but found some expanded sheet metal I had from an earlier attempt and decided to use that – I like it.

newgrille2.jpg

A little more straightening and cleaning up and I’ll be all set -

newgrille.jpg

I installed an expanded sheet metal panel, like you used on your grille, on my '71 Z in about 1972. I took out the stock grille and bolted in the expanded mesh panel using the original grille mounting points. That left enough room between the "new" grille and the bumper so that I could bolt two driving lights mounted on a custom mount panel that attached to the inside of the bumper using the bumper mounts studs. I've since acquired a Japanese grille and retire the homemade solution.

Dennis

Thanks! I don't plan on going with a full bumper but would like to at least do the sides to give it more of a finished look. Not bad for a total of $10!

I can't believe it fit that well from the get-go...nice! I like the mesh you used in the bottom photo since it makes it less characteristically "Mustang." Yes, I like the rallye look too! :2thumbs:

Davy

• 2 years later...

I'll chime in here since I just unloaded a 2012 Mustang GT last December.  That front grill assembly is very restricting on air inlet and is actually an identified source of overheating on the Mustangs when used in severe (read track) conditions.  They actually offer a front grill/driving light delete because of this issue.  On the Zcar, who knows, apples to orangutans, and all that.  However, in the mustang market those front grills are commonly taken OFF due to this issue.  So you might be able to pick them up at a discount.

Mike