HybridZ

280z dash into 240z

dnatoli

Alrighty everybody, I've done a fair bit of research into this topic and I can't find much of anything. I have a 72 240 and I can find a non cracked dash with ease for a 280 apparently and if it's possible to do the swap I think I would like to get a 280 dash.

So, I ask all of you if its possible to do this swap and what the major differences are.

Danny

Wiring harness, climate controls volt gauge, tach and console are the major differences.

I haven't verified it, but if you have a '73 the 280 harness may be pretty close to a plug in, I know there will be a difference in wiring for the ammeter vs volt gauge, but I know the plugs themselves are very similar.

Im not worried about the wiring as much as I am the physical bolt in of the dash. Ill be making my own wiring harness for.... everything. I just want to know the differences between the two and such.

Thank you,

Danny

There are stark differences in the two dashes that make this a difficult swap. Especially the wiring, there is virtually NOTHING that matches up connector wise between the two. The mounting points are more or less the same, ie you can bolt either one in (at least along the top and under the ends, but not the center), but hooking up everything from air vents to heater controls (totally different) will be, how do you say, "challenging":.. You will need a 280 console to make it match up to the totally different shape of the console center section too.

Your best bet is stick entirely with your instruments and wiring, try to get them mounted in the dash (the gauge mounting is totally different, more fun, you'll be putting your guts into the 280 housings....), then deal with each of the other issues as they arise.

Its just not worth it unless you really like a challenge IMHO

You can change just the harmesses atached to the back of the gauges, no need to swap internals, unless you want to. I would use the 280 volt gauge at the very least.

These issues won't be that difficult IMO, a few careful splices here and there, and the wiring will bevtaken care of, if splicing will even be needed for the heater controls.

im not worried about the wiring because i'm going to build my own harness for the whole car. I have the skills to do that, and i will be running speedhut gauges anyway so that will be removed. the main concern that i have is the bolting up issue.

so in summary, from what we have gathered so far, the dash mounting points are the same, but the wiring and heater stuff is different.

im building the car from the ground up and everything is being changed or modified so that it will be a modernized classic with an rb25 in it. i just dont want to have to weld or custom make brackets to make the dash. i purchased an uncracked 280 dash for a pretty good deal and just would like to get the knowledge you all have to offer on the differences between 240, 260 and 280 z's. i have plenty of car experience but im just new to this scene, as i got thrown into it from the volkswagen and audi life.

thank you all so far,

danny

I've seen it done. My recollection is that only a few of the mounting tabs actually mate up. The swap I saw used only two or three of the mounting tabs. IIRC the 280 is slightly wider, but not enough to prevent it from "going in". The other comments re console are valid. The 280 gauges were kept.

It struck me as a lot of work for little payback, as a quality cap is presentable and pretty cheap. dry.gif You might be able to flog a clean 280 dash on Ebay or here for more than enough to purchase a cap. The swap was a 280 into an early 1971 or 72 240z.

g