HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
Datsun63

1983 datsun 280zx stock turbo increasing the boost.?

Datsun63    0

To start. I know this question has been answered over and over again somewhere in here and the questions might have been answered lots of times before. I've spent hours and hours looking but i just cant find the information i need, maybe i just havent looked deep enough.

Anyways my question is, I would like to increase the boost on the Z. Everything is stock on the car except for plugs,wires, etc.. Ive bought a Turbonetics intercooler for the Z. i will fabricate the intercooler piping for the rest of the car. i Also got a t3/t4 T04B .63A/R .93 Trim BB Turbo, thats just extra stuff. I would like to increase the boost on the car with the stock turbo without spending lots of money. A good 14-15 Psi for 250hp. I would like to get from 250 to 300hp out of it but 250 is fine. I also have a friend with a good boost controller, ill be getting that off of him. My question is i have heard i will have fuel cut problems, etc.. etc... I cant find any of that information to help me out. Yess ive spent hours and days looking for that information but i cant find it anywhere. I increasede the boost before on the stock turbo up to 10 psi without an intercooler and man did it feel good but thats when the fuel cut came in, sounded like the wastegate wouldnt come all the way open. I have seen and heard i need to port the wastegate, plug the intake.? Something like that. Guys please help me sorry for asking this question i just cant find the information i need.

ctc    13

I don't think you will find a step by step instructions. You will need to read what others have done and see how it applies to you.

My understanding is you will need an ECU swap as a minimum to do what you are thinking.

Have you read the how to make 250 hp thread by Drax? If not here on xenon s130 site.

Datsun63    0

Yeah man ive read it multiple times. Its helped alot just that after going through multiple post i keep finding new things. So i look for more into those new things and i wont find any infromation on it. id say im just going to end up puttiong the T04B on and making my own fabrications to it running stoxk boost and little by little increase the boost as time goes.

dexter72    12

You should be able to find info about what else you need to increase boost, Especially with a larger turbo. If your going to keep the stock turbo on the car, increasing boost past 12psi doesn't do much but produce more heat.

Your wastegate is most likely openning up, So you have to decide if your going to get a new wastegate diaphram that will not open at that lower boost level. Or install an external wastegate. If the stock one is still on the stock turbo, it is openning as it is supposed to.

If your going to use that larger turbo you will most likely need to do these things also.

Larger injectors

Stand alone efi setup or Aftermarket Ecu.

Wideband setup

Intercooler depending on how much boost your thinking of running

Blow off valve

External wastegate or maybe an adjustable internal wastegate

Aftermarket fuel pump

Better clutch if you have a 5spd trans.

Edited by dexter72

Sign in to follow this