HybridZ

anyone done a ford 390 swap?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi, I have a 1972 240z, and have been trying to get hands on a v8 for the longest time, I found a 390 bored 30 over and was wondering if that would actually fit in my car? If not, owell I will make it fit, just to be origanal, It would definatley be a powerplant! so Thanks for any reply! peace! fairlady_zx@hotmail.com

Don't bother, the FE Fords were far better truck engines than performance engines. They have great torque but just don't rev. I have a 406 in a 67 Mustang GT, made awesome tire smoke, but any solid running SBC or Mopar would beat it. The weight factor is also a negative in the Z. Build a 351W and have power and handling.

Bill

Guest Anonymous

I agree with BQR about the 351 Winsdor. Small block that will fit with performance and handling. The first big block supplied by Ford (and the only 390 c.i.) in the Shelby Cobra was a 390. This car was called the "turd"

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the info, the 390 was origanally from my dads 62 thunderbird! I can see how handling could be sloppy, but got to work with what you got, so wish me luck!

• 3 years later...

I'm also doing a 390 FE swap that I got for 250 bucks. From the messurements I took It fit with four and a half inches to spare on each side. Grantit I have a 280zx and i've never measured an earlier z's engine bay. I plan on putting atleast 4.5K into the engine and drivetrain. They are great for torque but will probable lack in high end power. If I go with the cam and other upgrades that increase highend power hopefully that will make up for some of it. A ford 9" rear end maybe needed to handle the torque, i'm not sure if the datsun axles could handle it.

• 2 weeks later...

The FE was used in the cobra after the 289 so it would probably be applicable to the Z.

With aluminum intake and aluminum heads you will drop quite a bit of weight also. I have a 428 in my Model A coupe with 2x4's and it's a handful if you get on it. One of the problems you will have is making headers for the installation. I did a set for the Model A and it was a pain. Also may have problems with the transmission tunnel as the bellhousing and transmission on the FE is a little larger than the SBF.

Good luck it should be a screamer...

• 5 years later...