HybridZ

what 5.0 should i use??

240z72

Hi all ive been digging around this forum for some time now and i cannot decide what to start with. My wants are a ford 302/5.0 motor and a t-5.Il be happy with say 300hp. Thing is i have not bought a single part yet untill i know exzactly what i want. I dont want EFI. For now i want a simple carb setup. Looked at Brians 302 build and i wish i had the tools and time let alone the money :P. Basically what im asking is what year and model car/truck should i get my motor out of? id like to get the most motor for the buck. Ill have a decent budget for this build but not all out. Im fairly new to the ford v8's so be easy on me haha.

To get 300+ hp out of a 302 you will need afterrmarket cylinder heads.you will not get a 300hp 302 even out of a later mustang with efi.This will require a mild custom build.Any 302 out of a later model ford(crown vic,lincoln) will work.I f you get right down to it there is not much left that will be oem ford except for the bottem end.

I used a 1968 302 block, bored .030" and fitted with TRW forged pistons. I used the Eldelbrock Performer RPM kit with aluminum cylinder heads (2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust), hydraulic cam, high rise manifold. I used roller rocker arms and a holley street avenger 670 cfm carburetor. For ignition I use an MSD distributor and Crane Hi6 multispark box. I am running long tube headers. This combination dynos at 360hp and 340 ft-lb of torque. It has a nice lopey idle, but is very streetable.

Thanks for your imput guys. Ive been reading that some mustangs came with forged pistons. As it looks id want to opt for one of those because im basically gonna ise only the block. Now just to narrow down what block and year is the best for the forged pistons.

88-91 302 came with forged pistons and valve releifs. Trick flow 170cc or air flow research 165cc heads and stock or mild cam and carb will get you to 300-350 hp

Its already been posted for you what years to look for. Here in CA the 1992 Mustang also had forged pistons. There are a lot of builds off these forged roller blocks making 300HP with worked over GT40 factory heads and the right cam carb and intake.