HybridZ

VLSD ring and pinion (91 300zx) into long nose R30?

d-phlip

I have done a lot of research on this and didn't find the answer (or found it but didn't understand it).

I have a 72z with a 280Z long nose R200, 3.73 gears and a Quaife helical gear LSD that accepts 12mm or 10mm bolts. I want lower gearing for acceleration and have a T56 with 0.5 sixth gear, so cruising RPM will be no problem.

I found a VLSD with 4.08 gears from a 91 300ZX (purchased in a short nose R200). It is on the way - I haven't seen it yet.

Will the ring and pinion from the VLSD bolt into my long nose R200 with Quaife differential?

Any help will be appreciated. If I missed the answer to this in my research, I apologize.

Click the "Donate" link on the tool bar at the top of the page. I think you can pay the "donation" of $20 with Paypal, then you are ready to go.

In regard to the diff problem. Look for an open 3.90 and swap your carrier into it (easy job). 3.90 open R200s are very easy to find. There is one on the Nashville Craislist for $30. I initially hated my 3.90 when I was running 24" tires, but now that I've mounted my 26" drag slicks, I'm warming up to it. The problem with it when running street tires was wheel spin requiring an instant shift into second, then immediately into 3rd. Now on slicks, I get better traction and with a larger rolling radius, I have more time in each gear. Go to my video in the Videos-drag racing forum to see what a 3.90 LSD with V8 and slicks looks like. Unless you get really tall tires, I don't see much point in going to even lower gears if you have a V8. Now, a L6 is a totally different matter - gear low for track fun, but that is in exchange for highway misery.

If you move the ring and pinion out of one case into another case, you will have to check the pinion shimming and carrier shimming. I would have to get professional help making sure the gear lash was set properly. If you keep the case matched to the R&P with all the associated shims and spacers, then you can move carriers around. Does the VLSD come with axles? The inner CV stub is different on a VLSD vs a CLSD (and I imagine a helical too).

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 1 year later...

I have a open 3.91 long nose r200 for my 280 z ...I also have a short nose r200 with the VLSD I would like to use the VLSD on my long nose 200 what axles would I need ? Would it be better to get a aftermarket LSD ? What power can a VLSD r200 hold ? Would a aftermarket LSD hold more power ?