HybridZ

Rear hatch deck lid

I finally got tired of putting off the rust repair on the rear hatch deck lid area. I had planned on buying the repair panel from the Z store, but wanted to see exactly what the damage was first. Thought this might help those on this site with the limited metal working skills like myself.

This is what I started with.

post-6150-065065300 1340737196_thumb.jpg

I was able to cut the top piece off by drilling through the old spot welds.

post-6150-093062100 1340737261_thumb.jpg

I found that most of the metal under the top piece was still pretty good. There were a few spots, mostly towards the corners, that really needed attention.

post-6150-024820600 1340737287_thumb.jpg

So I gridded down until I saw clean metal all across the top and around the edges.

post-6150-077718000 1340737329_thumb.jpg

Looking at what I had, I realized that even if I bought the repair panel, it would only replace the top. I had to do something about the underside. So I got to it.

Here is how I repaired the left side that had rusted through. The rust went all the way from the outer edge to lip that the weather stripping attaches. I started by cutting out the bad metal and tried to keep the cuts in a straight line.

post-6150-090949800 1340737356_thumb.jpg

Then I made a template out of cardboard and used it to cut the patch piece out of 22GA steal. I got a piece about 2'x2' from Lowes for around $20. Please excuse the welds, I had a hell of a time getting the weld hot enough to penetrate the new steal without burning a hole in the old sheet metal of the body. I welded from the outer edge up to the first bend. That would give me an anchor on either side to bend the first section.

post-6150-071455300 1340737381_thumb.jpg

Then I took a scrap piece of 1" square stock that I used for my fuel cell cage. I cut it down the same width as the top of the patch panel to give me something to bend the entire piece as straight as I could. Worked surprisingly well. I used two C-clamps to secure the square stock in place and to bend the steal.

post-6150-044087000 1340737397_thumb.jpg

post-6150-047195000 1340737418_thumb.jpg

I did the same for the very top lip section. Welded up to the next bend and used the square stock in the same way. When I cut the patch panel I made it a bit longer than I needed so I would not come up short and would have something to grab and bend. It would have been a pain to try and bend a 1/4" lip.

post-6150-063630200 1340737440_thumb.jpg

And here is what I was left with before trimming it up, welding the rest, and grinding it down.

post-6150-058637500 1340737458_thumb.jpg

And now the finished product, sort of.

post-6150-096188600 1340737486_thumb.jpg

post-6150-070678400 1340737531_thumb.jpg

Edited by gmanatc97

So now I have about 3/4 of the top piece left that is still useable. I am at a cross roads. The way I see it I have three options.

1. Do I buy the replacement top panel from the Z store?

2. Do I use what I have and just add metal to it to extend it to the corners?

3. Do I just cut the top piece so it is even on both sides from the middle and weld it back on.

Option three is a little outside the box and I have not seen anyone do it. I could cut it even with the flares for the tail lights

post-6150-097385300 1340738295_thumb.jpg

That way I still have the stock points for the license plate and lights for it. Then I could just make the rest of the top as flat as I can with body filler without having the lip that protrudes out.

Looking for any advise or suggestions.

Yeah, sorry about that BluDestiny, I posted it and when I reviewed what I posted I realized my pics where WAY too big. You must have been reading it as I was changing the pics out. They should be back up now, let me know if they are still not there.

How long have you had your Z in Daytona? I moved up to NC about 2 years ago from the Daytona/Palm Coast area. Would have been inspiring to see some finished Zs while I was there. Miss the beach!

Edited by gmanatc97

Its been coming and going, mostly with the school year. Freshman year I had my blue 260z, drove that back for summer and sold it about a year ago, then the next year I had my 81 280zx 2+2, took it back home and crashed that and now I have my 80 280zx coupe.

Freshman yr

IMG00330.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

Sophmore yr (before and after rattle can)

SN850756.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

POS I'm rolling in now :D

PICT0006-1.jpg

PICT0008-1.jpg

So I mocked up the tail lights with the top piece removed. Its been so long since I had the lights and the tail light covers on the car. Looks like I am going to have to put the top piece back on AND finish extending it to the corners like it was. There is a 1/2" gap between the metal and the covers. Oh well it was worth a look and a thought. Back to fabrication, welding and grinding. It just really never ends!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That started off looking pretty bad, but turned out well.

What I find when I encounter original metal that doesn't seem to hold up well to trying to weld a piece of new metal to it is that it usually also needs to be cut out, unless you're just trying to weld together two very different thicknesses of metal. ;)

Many time more metal will need to be cut out than you think, or even would like to, to get back to a good solid piece of metal to weld the new material to.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a REALLY good hatch off of my 74 260 that I would sell for a reasonable price if someone is interested instead of making a career fixing a bad one! One problem is I live in Spokane, WA, a million miles from anywhere! I also have another decent hatch (not as good as the other, but much better than the ones I have seen on this thread!), also off of a 74.

I have a REALLY good hatch off of my 74 260 that I would sell for a reasonable price if someone is interested instead of making a career fixing a bad one! One problem is I live in Spokane, WA, a million miles from anywhere! I also have another decent hatch (not as good as the other, but much better than the ones I have seen on this thread!), also off of a 74.

I feel like an idiot, I did not look at the pictures, but just the title of this thread. I did not realize the repair was of the car, not the hatch.