HybridZ

Need higher gear ratio in 1990 NA Z32

I have spend quite a bit of time searching for an option to give me a higher gear ratio, or lower numerically. Yes there is alot of talk about what might work or may work but nothing really definitive. The 3.54 out of a Q45 would be fine but can not find a thread that tells exactly what is needed to get the job done. Don't really want to go with a TT set up as the gear is lower. Want to know if someone knows what it takes, start to finish. I really don't want to start ordering parts to find out that something is not compatable.

1. Is there a bolt in option?

2. If not can the ring and pinion from a Q45 R200 be swapped into a Z32 R200 case?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

My understanding is an R200 is an R200 and parts is parts. Common year may make a difference. You will likely need to use both the pinion and ring gears in order for everything to line up. There are some aftermarket gears but they can be a pain to get so any R200 you have access to can be gutted for parts.

I'd imagine it's a pretty straight forward swap. I know there is a thread out there where a guy swapped one into a 240sx. I'd imagine it's as simple as an inner axle end swap, using the 6 bolt inner axle ends from a q45 and drilling the companion flange so you can bolt up your drive shaft. Otherwise I'd think it's a pretty direct swap.

Give it a go man!

Although the axles (I know the axle ends are) may be a different spline count but I wouldn't think they would go through the trouble. When I did my rear end swap I used the 6 bolt axle ends from a g35. I had to do quite a bit of modification to the sub frame but it works great!

The guy that did the 240sx swap used either 2 driver or 2 passenger side axles from the q45 and the hubs. He was looking for a stronger axle end and a better gear.

I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Edited by dts300z