HybridZ

Commuter opinions? Yaris?

JMortensen

In laws are looking for a cheap commuter, and they've found a Yaris. I know nothing about appliance commuter cars, but wondering if anyone had any feedback or suggestions on something else that would be better. They're looking at used and spending about $10K.

I work at a dealer.

We don't see many.

I don't think they sold many,(see above)

No product problems that I know about.

Call, or visit a dealer with the VIN for history.

Or call me with a VIN, and I'll do my best.

973-953-4368..........Tommy

I would SERIOUSLY compare against a Corolla.

Weigh all the ++ and--.

Both are good cars.

Tell them to look at the XB'S...I like'm.

post-3495-004373700 1342753515_thumb.jpg

Edited by jasper

I had a Yaris rental car about 4 years ago. It was actually pretty decent, given the price and product-class. The centrally-mounted instrument cluster is extremely annoying. Otherwise ergonomics is OK. I don't care for the upright seating found in most modern subcompacts, preferring the traditional low-slung seating of coupes such as the Civic. But older people might actually prefer the more upright seating... it improves ease of entry and exit into the car. I would actually choose a Yaris over a Honda Fit or Nissan Versa.

That will be me then....

Love it. Nearly 3 years old, only got the 1 liter, but over here a liter of petrol is £1.37 (about $2.05). Great fuel economy (about 60mpg normal, 70+mpg when absolutely trying). Handles well (quite firm suspension [which maybe different spec the the North American market]), grips nicely. Since only small engine, best to keep the car moving, rather than braking and excellerating, which is an excuse to chuck her into some bends (which is a hoot). Quite happily have 4 people. Plenty of space once the rear seats are down.

Happily have another.

Edited by RIP260Z

Have they considered a Honda Fit? I drive one as my DD. It gets 28 - 30 mpg around town and 36 - 40 on the highway depending on how heavy your foot is. It is very practical and versatile. Check out Consumer Reports for an unbiased rating.

I assuming they are buying used? I don't think you can get either car for $10K.

My 70 year old mother bought a Yaris two door hatch a year ago brand new. She loves it. Granted it is a bit noisy inside but for the price point that is to be expected. It has alot of space inside for a small car and she comments how easy it is to see out of ( she is 4'9" tall) because of the centralized gauges. She also still prefers a 5 speed over an auto so that was a plus as well. She lives alone now so having a car that will likely have the least amount of issues was important.