HybridZ

I need Professional Help to take a look at my car

They are not clogged.

About a month ago I took them all out and did what the man at Pepboys told me to do witch was, soak them in carburetor cleaner and really clean them out. Then take a 7 volt power source and an old injector plug. Hook it up to a temporary button so that when you press the button the injector clicks open and when you release it closes. I cleaned them out and made sure they sprayed before putting them back on the car.

First of all, stop taking advice from guys at pep boys and auto zone. Most of those guys have no real experience working on cars. They sell parts. That's it.

Next, last time I was at auto zone or oriellys they had fuel injection test kits that you could rent that would have the gauge that you need. You will have to pay for it up front but your money will be refunded when its returned. If its not available, make one out of pipe parts and a cheap air pressure gauge from the hardware store.

Finally, soaking your injectors in carb cleaner and then opening them with a 7 volt battery (where the hell did you find a 7 volt battery?) does not mean your injectors are clean and flowing properly. In fact you may have hurt them if you held them open too long. Rule #1 when diagnosing cars is never assume something is working properly just because it was working previously (especially when its been 2 months since the car ran and you just tried some homemade quick fix.)

Now, verify you have constant fuel pressure when cranking. About 42 psi without vacuum on the regulator if I remember correctly.

If so, verify injectors are firing with a noid light. Sounds like you did this though.

Check and clean ALL electrical connectors under the hood, especially injectors, AFM, and coolant temp sensor.

If that fails find an FSM and work through the troubleshooting checks.

Just curious, why was the car not started for 2 months? Were you having issues with it running poorly or was there another reason?

If he did this first -

If that fails find an FSM and work through the troubleshooting checks.

He would know that 36 psi is the correct fuel pressure number -

Now, verify you have constant fuel pressure when cranking. About 42 psi without vacuum on the regulator if I remember correctly.

calpoly-z, you asked why the car hadn't been running in two months. The answer is I got my Z about 4 years ago from a friends junk yard. I'm not sure how long the car sat at the junk yard, but it was the junk yard owners car with the typical "ran when stored" background. When I got a hold of it, it sat in a garage where I casually tinkered with it when I had the time. Over the past few years I cured all the cancer, Pulled out all the dents, Sanded, Bondo, Primer, Paint. The paint is only 7 months old. Painted it myself, no crappy half-a**ed 1day paint shop. I got new rims and tires, And new radiator. Also I needed a EFI wiring harness so I bought one off of ebay that came with the ECU. Then I got my license and needed a car so I started the engine work. I Flushed out all the fuel lines, Replaced all the Rubber fuel line, New Engine Oil, Coolant, Plug Wires, and spark plugs. Started the car and it ran with a slight idle problem, But my AFM was shot so that was the partial cause. Also the hoses on my Fuel injectors themselves were leaking. Pretty badly too. That was the only thing keeping me from registering it and driving it. So I set aside a day to pull the whole Fuel rail off and replace the hoses plus make sure the metal lines weren't clogged, Clean the injectors from any gunk stuck in them. When I put it all back together, That's when the car stopped running. Or stopped holding idle.

Along with the engine work i'm re-doing my interior, cleaning it up, repainting parts. New carpet, headliner, front seats and recovered back seat still to come.

This car is going to be my Hopped up daily driver, but until then i'd like it if it just drove.

Yes, the AFM is correct. Its a 76 AFM I bought right here on hybrid z. It works great, it does have the fuel pump switch inside and it works.

I took a detailed look at my engine bay. Looked for all the cracked or missing smog hoses, looked at all the connections on the wiring harness as well as some poorly done wiring around the engine. I know that there are 2 hoses that connect to the back of the intake that go around the back of the engine to where the fusable links are located that need to be replaced. all the contacts need to be deep cleaned. And some wires going to the distributor and coil area are in need of replacing and making sure they are connected to the correct locations. ill take pictures tomorrow of the wires and hoses. take a trip to autozone for parts and wire connection cleaner.

Ill keep updating.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought, maybe the car runs with starting fluid because the fuel injectors are being told to shut off. Mine did this when the fuel injection ecu went bad, it happened suddenly, and soon as I plugged in one of my buddies ecu's she purred like a kitten again. Just take 30 seconds to check if you know someone with a running Z to swap with real quick.

I figured out the problem. It was pin #1 on my harness. It was not connected to the(-) side of the coil, which controls injectors opening and closing. I wired it up. Started right up. Has a little trouble revving, and initial warm up. But idles great. And when I say trouble revving, it feels like it is taking its sweet time to rev. I havnt driven it yet to get an accurate test. It needs breaks first. Hopefully it just needs a little breaking in.