HybridZ

Where do you buy a Fuel Pump Control Relay?

Do you want that one just to keep it all stock looking? Relay (in this case) is a relay. You can pick up one of those "ice cube" relays, complete with a pigtail and everything, for under $20. THIS should do anything you need.

If you want a Datsun one, your best bet is going to be a salvage yard or these boards.

Have you tested the one you have? Pretty easy to do with a battery, some jumper wires and an ohm-meter.

You can pry the tabs back on the case also, and take it apart if you want to check the guts out for rust and corrosion.

post-8864-017526400 1343619380_thumb.jpg

Have you tested the one you have? Pretty easy to do with a battery, some jumper wires and an ohm-meter.

You can pry the tabs back on the case also, and take it apart if you want to check the guts out for rust and corrosion.

I dunno, just dust it off, i bet that one could still work :blink::lol::P

No really, You can use about any Relay, but be sure you're using one rated for the amps that the fuel pump will draw. Too small a relay and it will arc and possibly fuse inside which could be bad. The S30 is a 12V system. I think the Fuel pump circuit is on a 15A fuse, so a 20A relay should be fine.

Not so simple as straight replacement with a "cube" relay.

The FSM shows this relay has dual coils and two sets of contacts.

post-2004-054860900 1343682284_thumb.jpg

As suggested, open up the one you got and trouble shoot it. Most likely dirty contacts rather than a burned out coil, but you never know.

I'll dig through my box-o-relays for one, but don't hold your breath..

I see how you could use a new cube relay to use the output of the oil pressure switch to ground the trigger coil of a new relay to connect +12v to pin 91 of the fuel pump relay (ie turn it on) instead and drop the use of the simultaneous alternator output altogether.

Edited by z240

• 1 year later...

Do you want that one just to keep it all stock looking? Relay (in this case) is a relay. You can pick up one of those "ice cube" relays, complete with a pigtail and everything, for under $20. THIS should do anything you need.

If you want a Datsun one, your best bet is going to be a salvage yard or these boards.

I know this is an old post but I thought I would include the idea I came up with and I did not have to spend the $20 for the 'ice cube' and pigtail assembly. If you are not worried about the OEM look of your ride take the hot wire from your fuel pump control relay and remove it from the pigtail plug and do the same for the wire coming from fuel pump control relay that supplies power to the pump relay when the coils do their thing in the control relay. I used a terminal tool to remove the ends from pigtail and pluged the hot wire for the control relay directly into fuel pump relay so now pump comes on when ignition is turned to on instead of start. This way does illiminate the cutoff features of the oil presure switch and alternator switch. I was having a time finding the bad wire from the alternator or oil press switch so I went with this until I decide to pull the wiring for a better look. So if you are having this problem and end up on this old post I hope this helps you get on the road where your Z belongs instead of sitting under a tree.