HybridZ

~73 Turbo L28 to N/A RB25 240z Project~

Whats up Shawn, didn't you buy a 280z too?

Nope.  Ran into a money-shortage for toys.  My SE-R is still sitting in my shed.  I drive the living piss out of it at least once a week.  Got a load of parts to bolt-onto it this fall/winter on rainy days.

My next toy will, without question, be an S30.  I look at them a few times a week on-line.  There have been a few Texas cars for sale recently on Ebay that all looked like good starting points.

My last few purchases have been an ATV/small trailer, Kubota commercial zero-turn mower, farm truck, and...drumroll...a freakin' tractor. :icon52:

lol @ this ex-FWD Sr20 owners reunion in KnuckleDusters thread!  :rockon:  :cheers:

I do believe I recognize your signature as well sir. :2thumbs:

Kind of funny, but not too surprising.  Same manufacturer.  Two (2) of their four (4) best vehicles ever.  510 and Roadster in the mix.

My next toy will, without question, be an S30.  I look at them a few times a week on-line.  There have been a few Texas cars for sale recently on Ebay that all looked like good starting points.

My last few purchases have been an ATV/small trailer, Kubota commercial zero-turn mower, farm truck, and...drumroll...a freakin' tractor. :icon52:

I do believe I recognize your signature as well sir. :2thumbs:

I know how you feel. Once the Z bug bites it doesn't go away!

Sounds like you have quite the farm going haha

That looks sweet! By the way, are you running that heats hield? I put my manifold back together but left the heat shield off. Is the heat really bad with these engines?

Thank you sir, I think I'm going to use the heat shield just for the fact it will look better than looking at the rusty exhaust manifold. The 280zx's actually ran an injector cooling fan to help reduce vapor lock due to heat soaked injectors, but from what I've read it's not really that big of a deal.

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the tail lights in last night and was able to start cleaning them up today. They look like they were stored in a garage for a very long time.

IMG_6084_zpsc0438779.jpg

IMG_6082_zpsd4e507e6.jpg

I took a gamble when I bought these due to the bad pictures and possibility of hidden damage but they turned out to be amazing. No cracks at all, even the bulbs are in good shape!

IMG_6086_zpsf92411ca.jpg

Luckily the grim wasn't thick, everything cleaned up easily. The seller could have sold these for big money if he took the time to clean them up.

IMG_6085_zps4da83d57.jpg

Before:

IMG_6079_zpsa914016a.jpg

After:

IMG_6092_zps6b2a5533.jpg

IMG_6089_zpsd186cd1c.jpg

IMG_6100_zps9aca35f8.jpg

IMG_6096_zps59011518.jpg

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the tail lights in last night and was able to start cleaning them up today. They look like they were stored in a garage for a very long time.

IMG_6084_zpsc0438779.jpg

IMG_6082_zpsd4e507e6.jpg

I took a gamble when I bought these due to the bad pictures and possibility of hidden damage but they turned out to be amazing. No cracks at all, even the bulbs are in good shape!

IMG_6086_zpsf92411ca.jpg

Luckily the grim wasn't thick, everything cleaned up easily. The seller could have sold these for big money if he took the time to clean them up.

IMG_6085_zps4da83d57.jpg

Before:

IMG_6079_zpsa914016a.jpg

After:

IMG_6092_zps6b2a5533.jpg

IMG_6089_zpsd186cd1c.jpg

IMG_6100_zps9aca35f8.jpg

IMG_6096_zps59011518.jpg

They look super nice, can you share the tips on this transformation ,  :icon52:

Edited by PLATA

They look super nice, can you share the tips on this transformation ,  :icon52:

For the outside I used a lens clarifying compound that came with a Turtle Wax headlight restore kit. The insides had some dirt and grim in them and rather than take them apart and risk breaking them I used moistened cotton balls with long tweezers to surgically rub the insides through the small bulb openings. Followed it up with dry cotton balls to remove any moisture. It was fun watching them come back to life!

If it's not standing off of the radiator body it's just blocking flow through over half of the radiator.  Better to leave it open for high air flow at speed and guaranteed air flow, through the fan, when stopped.

Edited by NewZed

^I don't believe so. If you are moving fast enough the air will find it's way through the fan opening. At low speed and idle, you need the shroud to block off the opening not directly in contact with the fan so that it pulls the air through the radiator rather then around it.

Car looks great knuckleduster!

Edited by seattlejester