HybridZ

~73 Turbo L28 to N/A RB25 240z Project~

Everything's all good now.

Well, possibly better but not "all good".

That giant hole in the shroud only provided an close/less obstructed air source for the fan than pulling through the radiator matrix.

You'll certainly get better flow through at speed (above @40mph having NO shroud/fan would be ideal) but in heavy slow traffic I'll bet it works worse.

Well, possibly better but not "all good".

That giant hole in the shroud only provided an close/less obstructed air source for the fan than pulling through the radiator matrix.

You'll certainly get better flow through at speed (above @40mph having NO shroud/fan would be ideal) but in heavy slow traffic I'll bet it works worse.

I tested it going both fast & slow. When I got back from my drive I let her idle in the driveway for over ten min with no change in temp. Before the fan was zip tied on and the temp would fluctuate and overheat if left sitting to long. Now it stays right smack in the middle the whole time.

• 2 weeks later...

I started attacking some of the bigger issues today. Exhaust leak, freezer plug leak, and turbo oil drain leak.

The oil drain going back into the pan always seeped oil and was excessively long so I sourced an oem drain tube to replace this mess..

IMG_6461_zpsdf71a2dc.jpg

Then I realized how someone did the most half assed fitting on the pan. Someone drilled a hole in the stock pan and loosely stuck a fitting through the hole and slapped some gasket maker around it. At this point I'll have to get a bung welded to this pan or locate a turbo oil pan.

IMG_6463_zps581ac9a0.jpg

IMG_6462_zps86944be5.jpg

Here's the leaky freezer plug (expansion plug). Same guy I'm sure "fixed" this. There was another freezer plug JB welded over the original leaky one. Nice.

IMG_6465_zpsa18d8a9d.jpg

The aftermath.

IMG_6464_zps81871b2b.jpg

Turbos in good shape at least.

IMG_6466_zps76affd36.jpg

I love the multi-color scheme of your car.  Mine is the same way.  I just picked up my new 71 Saturday and going to have to do a build thread.

Thanks, I'm thinking now would be a good time to get rid of some more gold in the engine bay. I'll keep my eye out for your build.

Here's a pic of my two ladys. Giggity.

gallery_2013_25_301811.jpg

Well I may be ditching the shaved and polished manifold for this NAPS Computer System manifold I just acquired. From what I can gather NAPS stands for Nissan Anti Pollution System and used it on Japanese Market only model L20 & L28 motored sedans like the Gloria & Cedric. The cool part about this set-up is the twin barrel throttle body. At 1/4 throttle the smaller primary fully opens up, after that the larger secondary will begin to open. The advantages will be improved low end torque, better gas mileage, and who knows what else. I don't think if there will really be any disadvantages to this set-up. It's also just really cool! I've never seen one, I think it would look awesome powder coated black with the lettering remaining silver to match the valve cover. Decisions decisions..

IMG_6489_zps4269efa8.jpg

IMG_6486_zpsd753698c.jpg

NAPS vs N42

IMG_6481_zps765918a3.jpg

IMG_6482_zps9bf652ff.jpg

IMG_6485_zps42cc322d.jpg

IMG_6484_zps518ffa51.jpg

IMG_6487_zps6768f045.jpg

Here's a couple links for reference:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/32764-naps-l28-intake-manifold-with-twin-butterfly-tb/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_NAPS

Regarding twin barrel TB's

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/39280-p65-efi-intake-manifold/

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~

• 1 month later...

It's been tough finding the time to work on the Z lately but I've finally gotten around to swapping out oil pans.

Looked nice and clean in there

IMG_6511_zpsf71d0adb.jpg

Had to get a oil pick-up tube from a ZX in order to run the rear sump pan

IMG_6518_zps3c9b3e81.jpg

Magnetic oil drain plug for some piece of mind

IMG_6519_zpsd4ba491e.jpg

Fixed the leaky freezer plug and did the others while everything was out

IMG_6514_zpse86d9700.jpg

You know you're the only person calling those freezer pugs, right?  You're just messing with people?....

I said freezer PLUGS not pugs. Google freeze plug and tell me what comes up. Freeze plug, expansion plug, core plug, same thing to me sir. Please keep the official nomenclature comments out of my build thread.

Apparently I edited while you replied.  You got my typo.  Good catch.

They're just the holes left over from casting the parts, plugged to complete the job.  Occasionally they pop out when the coolant freezes.  But it's just a coincidence, not intentional.  Described in the link I added above.

Edited by NewZed

Apparently I edited while you replied.  You got my typo.  Good catch.

They're just the holes left over from casting the parts, plugged to complete the job.  Occasionally they pop out when the coolant freezes.  But it's just a coincidence, not intentional.  Described in the link I added above.

Ok..:shock: