HybridZ

~73 Turbo L28 to N/A RB25 240z Project~

Do you mind sharing your setup? N42 block with turbo internals? Or stock piston setup? Im assuming it is the stock turbo...factory psi setting as well?

I will do an updated mod list at some point here soon. I have no idea what the internals are, the previous owner didn't do any of the work so your guess is as good as mine. Factory boost.

I was getting ready to put the exhaust manifold and turbo back on today and decided to inspect the turbo. Not sure how I missed this when I first took it off but there is a large crack inside at the wastegate.

IMG_6524_zps1f319781.jpg

So my previous statement of the turbo being in good shape was clearly wrong. Rather than fix this or buy another 30 year old turbo I decided to try out a stock RB25DET turbo. It's a T28, ball bearing, and water cooled. Should be a nice little step up over the old snail.

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~

I finally received my long awaited exhaust set-up. I wasn't feeling the boy racer style slanted exhaust and I had an HKS Hi-Power on my last Z so it was time to do something different. I wanted a classic twin stacked exhaust but the original Ansa's were to small for a turbo set-up. I researched for a few weeks trying to find a well made 3" exhaust tip merge and finally settled on a very nice US made example that met my criteria.

3" inlet and 2.5" twin outlets that will accept 3" tips

IMG_6539_zps97bd09b4.jpg

IMG_6544_zpse2de71ba.jpg

IMG_6542_zps0d860826.jpg

Double wall brushed 304 stainless steel tips

IMG_6556_zps4d540a8b.jpg

IMG_6555_zpsa888254d.jpg

3" Resognator

IMG_6559_zps34144399.jpg

IMG_6563_zps8e492a76.jpg

Nice turbo, and nice build.  I have the same turbo, and I really like it. 

I have to ask, are you planing on running the coolant lines for the turbo or cap them? Also, I keep in mind that the t28 runs a specific oil restrictor, in looking at the photos, whoever sold you the turbo kept the restrictor fitting.

Looks nice.

Nice turbo, and nice build.  I have the same turbo, and I really like it. 

I have to ask, are you planing on running the coolant lines for the turbo or cap them? Also, I keep in mind that the t28 runs a specific oil restrictor, in looking at the photos, whoever sold you the turbo kept the restrictor fitting.

Looks nice.

Thanks man, I do intend on running the coolant lines. The plan is to have the feed come off the lower radiator neck or heater hose, and the return go back up to the thermostat housing.

That's funny I was just looking into ordering a restrictor this morning. Your right the bolt they left in does in fact have a restrictor built in. One less thing to buy..nice.

You said that when you first bought the car, it had overheating issues. I don't remember reading what you did to remedy that. What was the cause?

Your right I failed to post that, whoever wired up the fan had it pushing air from the engine side back at the air coming into the radiator. A switch of the wires and it's pulling the air in like normal.

Seems like a pretty good deal on that turbo. Just dont turn it up over 14psi. The turbine wheels like to snap off at higher boost levels. Those things make good power, about 300 on an RB. I need a new turbo, but I want mo powa. Still want liquid cooled though. I kept my SU coolant line setup from the L26, it has an extra coolant line looped around the back of the head and returns into the water neck near the thermostat. It kinda reminds me of later RB/SR coolant setups, but the coolant flows oposite.

Seems like a pretty good deal on that turbo. Just dont turn it up over 14psi. The turbine wheels like to snap off at higher boost levels. Those things make good power, about 300 on an RB. I need a new turbo, but I want mo powa. Still want liquid cooled though. I kept my SU coolant line setup from the L26, it has an extra coolant line looped around the back of the head and returns into the water neck near the thermostat. It kinda reminds me of later RB/SR coolant setups, but the coolant flows oposite.

I'll be keeping the boost low for a while I think, I don't want to start buying injectors and other things all over again. Ill be stoked with 200-250 and that that sounds like it will be cake with this turbo.

I've been trying to figure out a way to make my water return a little easier. I don't have a ZX T-stat housing with all the ports so I was looking into using a early 90's T stat housing cap that has a port on top. It's said to bolt up but has a slightly smaller ID. Not sure if it's enough to hurt cooling which is why I'm on the fence.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/25128-how-to-upgrade-your-l-series-thermostat-housing/

I originally planned on taping into the heater hoses and that's what I've done in the past on SR20's but people on this forum seem to have mixed emotions on it so I'm torn..

That was it? NICE! haha.

Have you had a chance to do a 1/4 mile run yet? How do you think the car was running with the previous setup w/stock turbo?

Yeah I was worried about the overheating thing for months after buying the car and having in a non operational state. Got lucky on that one. No 1/4 mile isn't really my thing, I prefer to go fast around corners. I drove the car a total of 10 miles before it went under the knife so it's hard to say, it could have run somewhere in the 14's with perfect conditions on a downhill track.

Kinugawa water line kit arrived:

IMG_6581_zps70d2d2ee.jpg

IMG_6584_zpsab41981c.jpg

I found a good source for braided hose in various sizes starting around $2.50 a foot and going up as the size goes up. It's rated for vac, boost and even fuel. Made in Germany by the same manufacturer used by Porsche, Audi, & BMW. Should give of a nice OEM feel in the engine bay.

IMG_6533_zpscbaf71a6.jpg

IMG_6537_zpsc6c118f7.jpg