HybridZ

280z 302

Shemyazaz

Nah. It was nasty and raining. No ice yet...thnak god. Hopefully I still have a few weeks before the really cold weather hits. Ordered the fuel cell and sch this week. Should have it this weekend. Still left on the list:

0.Batt cables

1.Fuel cell

2.Drive Shaft

3.Trans cooling lines.

4.Finish wiring.

5.Exhaust

6.Base tune.

Only a couple big money items left...the rest is just tedious labor.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the main harness cleaned up and hooked back up this weekend. I have no idea how this thing ever worked/diddn't catch fire. I've never seen so much crappy wiring and jury rigging all in one place. also got the back floor all cleaned up and glassed. Ready to install the battery box and fuel cell.

It made its first noise since the teardown this weekend. Clicked the start booster a few times to check the start signal.

post-24197-057751200 1350307239_thumb.jpg

I have no idea how this thing ever worked/diddn't catch fire. I've never seen so much crappy wiring and jury rigging all in one place.

:lol:

I can't believe how many bikes/cars I've gotten over the years that problems were traced back to somebody's twisted together, and duct/masking taped wiring connections!! WTF PEOPLE??

:lol:

I can't believe how many bikes/cars I've gotten over the years that problems were traced back to somebody's twisted together, and duct/masking taped wiring connections!! WTF PEOPLE??

Almost 40 years of people splicing, cutting, grafting, elimninating, taping, twisting, grafting, and amending. Not one bit of solder or heat-shrink was used. There were piles of stuff that led to nowhere. switches...with nothing attached to them...

Just amazing.

MY jury rigging will look artful by comparison. lol

First start. Had an issue with the vac ports we had chosen not being actual vac ports. Still have to plumb signal to the FPR. Pretty close base map though. After I pulled a little fuel out of the map to compensate for the dead FPR it smoothed right out.

Time to make an appointment with the muffler shop. Edited by Shemyazaz

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I'm chasing down little problems now. Have to go through the transmission and replace the torque converter. Having issues tuning the accel enrichment. The TB and GT40 intake are too big and cause a massive difference between throttle position and manifold pressure. This wouldn't be a problem if I were running a MS2 or later, but the MS1 does not have any TPS/MAP blending. I've also got to address the usual issues with the differential mount, as well as an angle issue with the driveshaft (need to lower the nose of the diff a bit to reduce angle).

Oh...and someone ran a truck into it last night, so I need to buy a hood.

Managed to get 2" of elevation on the trans tail. Driveshaft angle shouldn't be a problem now.

While chasing vibrations I have discovered that two of my wheels are damaged. Time to dig for wheels. Any suggestions? I'd like to go pretty large on the rear in hopes that I might gain just a little bit of ground clearance.

Have you done anything to the suspension or brakes? Do you plan to use fender flares? Without installing coilovers or adding fender flares, your wheel selectionis pretty limited.

Also, do you want to run 15", 16", 17", or 18" wheels?

On my car, I have run 15x8 and 16x8" wheels with a 5 inch backspace with 245 tires with coilovers and no flares .

I currently run 15x10" wheels with a 5.5" backspace and 275/35/15 tires, but I have flared fenders and coil-overs with really stiff , really short springs.

Planning to use the stock suspension configuration, and I might consider rolling the fender, but I have no plans to do that just yet. The front brakes are stock...but the rear I have not identified yet. I think they might belong to a 280zx. Thats something I have to figure out now as well....since they need a rebuild.

The wife is in love with these: http://www.andysautosport.com/custom_wheels/datsun/1975_1978_280z/group_detail.html?submodel=75-78_280z&upc=MOTE00152769

They only come in 15". There are some Rota wheels on the same site that I kinda like that come in both 15" and 16". I'm considering just getting the Motegi's and dropping the whole ground clearance issue.

• 8 months later...