HybridZ

Buick 3.8 Turbo Swap into a z32!

Hot LZ

First off, great site! I've ghosted here for a few years. I've owned a 76 280, an 84 turbo, an 88 na, and this is my second z32. None have been past stock enginewise. some serious power is way overdue. Been going back and forth between boosting my 2+2 z32 with a vg30tt($$$ and cramped bay) or going hybrid(more $$ but certainly more hp), heck for the price of just upgraded twin turbos on a VG (a must for my 600 goal, )I'm halfway to swap of some sort. I think some type of LS swap is ideal (LS turbo fantasy anyone). But that bay is cramped enough. I'll wait and twin turbo an old 60's convertible for that lol. After years of research and mind changes galore plus finally getting a fairly decent job..i've settled on 3.8 buick turbo. I've always lived in awe of the grand national (81 regal was my first ride) and typhoon's/syclone's. It's unique, not to far out of line in terms of size, offers a ton of power potential and i even( and very importantly)gain almost a litter of displacement, which will help down low.

Electronically speaking, it seems a tad simpler than a VG and the forged pistons are cheaper (sbc, basically right). Problem is I haven't come across a single swap into a z32 for the 3.8.....not one. What's the problem..is it the extra tall manifold, the tranny (i would like a 6, but I'll settle for a 5 speed) The engine price? Why has no one done it? I'm sure i must be missing something. Does anyone know of someone who has? If a guy can swap a viper v10 in(okay, it wasn't finished, but he stabbed it), i know 3.8 should go into a z32. Should hit 600 rwhp, no sweat, after all it is 3/4 of sbc. IS IT TIME TO PUT MY TRAILBLAZER SHOES ON AND BE THE FIRST??

P.S. Pardon my grammar, it's late, and i've had a cocktail or four. I'd welcome any input except the "just swap an LS already"...cause theres enough info on this site to pull that off without even bugging you guys(thanks braap)..

People were probably waiting to see if it was the four cocktails talking or something more.

If you put your Trailblazer shoes on don't be an Oden and fall apart before you really get started (it's a Portland reference).

On the 3.8, i was noticing they're pretty reasonable..now If i could just source a shop here in dallas that could handle it. Any ideas gents?

P.S. what's an Oden lol? Some reference to a newbie's godlike dreams of grandeur? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Projects like these ALWAYS require you to either learn to weld and fab yourself or make damn sure you got a friend who welds for gum as payment. Because shops will tell you how easy they can do it, then once into the project you will start to get the hourly bill for their learning curve. Your engine choice is pretty cool, saw it done in a fd once. Car ran real well with tons of room in the engine compartment to work on it. Its hard to get me away from sprayed and boosted ls swaps mainly because of the price and the amount of tuners out their already familiar with the platform. Can never go wrong with a boosted 5.3ls engine bolted to a powerglide.

Edited by MKIVZX

• 3 months later...

I have extensive exposure to the lc2 or as its commonly known the grand nat & TTa motor. 1st they are great and make a ton of power with minimal mods invested. Next the lc2 3.8 has NOTHING in common w/the sbc and are very diff from the sy/ty 4.3. The lc2 3.8 comes w/a 200r4 auto trans the 4.3 has the 700r4 & 4l60. The 4.3 obviously make more stock power but the 3.8 are better for performance kin the higher numbers. In a z32 id go lt1, lsx and not the LC2. If you have to use a 3.8 id use the 3800 series II from a gtp.

Projects like these ALWAYS require you to either learn to weld and fab yourself or make damn sure you got a friend who welds for gum as payment. Because shops will tell you how easy they can do it, then once into the project you will start to get the hourly bill for their learning curve. Your engine choice is pretty cool, saw it done in a fd once. Car ran real well with tons of room in the engine compartment to work on it. Its hard to get me away from sprayed and boosted ls swaps mainly because of the price and the amount of tuners out their already familiar with the platform. Can never go wrong with a boosted 5.3ls engine bolted to a powerglide.

^^ Agree 100%.

I'm working on an LS swap into mine right now lol. I can't weld but try anyway and it's proving to be pretty involved. I've done a few of these swaps... in the same car actually. The LT1 fits nicely compared to the LS but I would no doubt steer you towards the LS swap over a SBC or LT1 swap having done the LT1. With the LS series (4.8L, 5.3L specifically) with very minimal work and a turbo you should meet your goals. I know you can make power with the GN engine but I'm in no way familiar with them.

Just to give you an idea of cost I should be into my swap for about $5k not including labor and I should be able to make ~650ish or maybe some high 9s without batting an eye. I'm limited by my turbo. There are guys out there making 700 plus and trapping 140ish on these engines with very little modification and money spent. Best bang for the buck IMO.

Here is some inspiration

Dunno if the guy is a member here but that is one mean Z.