HybridZ

5.0L Z31 aka 500ZX

michaelp

It fits nice. Using a 84-86 Z31 turbo T5 with a foxbody input shaft and bell housing....trans crossmember lined right up because of this, as does the shifter and the stock Z31 driveshaft. Its all cake, just needed to modify the motor mounts on the crossmember a tiny tiny bit (all thats required is changing the angle a slight bit as seen below) and it bolts right in. Some hood clearance issues, but not a huge deal....next step is wiring. lol

562754_3559942804758_136571537_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet progress! I often wondered about t5 hybrids, that or the chevy t5..... Sweet!!!

So, are you going to be going this route as opposed to the turbo vg, or are you going to turbo this!

Nope, my brothers car....I'll keep my turbo VG in my 86T that'll actually hold boost/power versus having a underpowered v8. My brother wanted a v8 Z31 and he had spare mustang stuff from his foxbodys...so we figured we'd go 5.slow Z31.

Edited by michaelp

• 5 weeks later...

What exhaust manifolds / headers are you going with?

It has stock foxbody manifolds on it currently...going to try some shorty headers and see what fits...might have to be custom on the drivers side to clear the steering shaft, though.

A MAC long tube clears everyone on the passenger side so theres a lot of room over there...just not on the drivers side.

Edited by michaelp

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nope, my brothers car....I'll keep my turbo VG in my 86T that'll actually hold boost/power versus having a underpowered v8. My brother wanted a v8 Z31 and he had spare mustang stuff from his foxbodys...so we figured we'd go 5.slow Z31.

Oh come on now, you don't have to be THAT mean. Dollar for dollar the 5.0 isn't a terrible motor. Some patriot heads, cam, and EFI tuning can get you well over 350whp with less than $2k in mods. Not terrible bang for the buck if you ask me.

Oh come on now, you don't have to be THAT mean. Dollar for dollar the 5.0 isn't a terrible motor. Some patriot heads, cam, and EFI tuning can get you well over 350whp with less than $2k in mods. Not terrible bang for the buck if you ask me.

Yup...and VG30ET..stock turbo upgraded to a T3/T4, full exhaust, ebay FMIC setup, 450cc injectors, nistune and walbro 255...450whp for less than $2k in mods. lol

Yup...and VG30ET..stock turbo upgraded to a T3/T4, full exhaust, ebay FMIC setup, 450cc injectors, nistune and walbro 255...450whp for less than $2k in mods. lol

Which is why I continue to stand up for the VG as a decent engine choice.

I'm just saying, it's not like he chose to go with a terrible motor. The SBF has it's own merits to stand on. I bet with aluminum heads his total package weight will be about the same as a turbo VG30ET, or quite a bit less than a VG30DETT...

• Like 1

Which is why I continue to stand up for the VG as a decent engine choice.

I'm just saying, it's not like he chose to go with a terrible motor. The SBF has it's own merits to stand on. I bet with aluminum heads his total package weight will be about the same as a turbo VG30ET, or quite a bit less than a VG30DETT...

It also does not have turbos....just saying. lol

• 4 weeks later...

Michaelp very cool swap!! who would think so much of the ford driveline would all bolt in the z31?! did you ever figure out the headers? I think the ford v8 is a great option in a z31, and boosted it would make waaaaaay more power, cheaper than the comparable vg30et. You have broken new ground and have my respect!!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...