HybridZ

Question of the day!

cpt jack

Hey gang! So here is the question, what is a good Truck (reasonably priced) Truck that i could use to tow my 71? I currently live in Hawaii but am moving back state side. MD to be exact and my z is in Las Vegas, and i want to pick up a truck in Vegas and drive it to MD. This wont be a Daily but will be used to tow cars to track events and hauling supplies for when i get a house and all that jazz, what do you guys run? What do you like and dislike about your truck? Do i have to have a big bad V* or is a V6 more then capable for the job.

Mahalo !

I used a 2WD Xterra to pull my Z all the way from north dakota to texas, no problem.

Was your Z on a full dolly? or just the ones that have two wheels on the front wheels? I assume its easier for the truck to pull a dolly that has the car completely off the road, but then again i am new to towing.... Did you do any modifications to the Xterra like headers or things like that?

I want a truck and when I do I'm getting either a Tundra or a Titan. My roommate has a titan and its pretty nice, even for the base model. I'm actually familiar with it since I have to borrow it from time to time. As for a tundra, well....

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/toyota-tundra-trd-supercharged-first-drive-review

Only Tundra I'd own...

Edit, I have no real experience with a tundra, just think they are awesome. The titan on the other hand could handle everything I'd ever throw at it.

Edited by BluDestiny

If this is one-time usage, then perhaps the easier and cheaper option is to pay for a car-transport service? Years ago, my Z was under the knife, as it happens also in Las Vegas. This is when I lived in Los Angeles. Then I moved to Ohio. It cost $800 for an 18-wheeler to transport the car from Las Vegas to Ohio.

If this is a multi-usage situation (you'll be using a truck to tow the Z to race tracks, shops etc.), then one option would be a city maintenance truck sold at auction. They tend to be 3/4-ton GM/Ford/Dodge, with the basic 350-style V8, regular cab, long-bed.

Was your Z on a full dolly? or just the ones that have two wheels on the front wheels? I assume its easier for the truck to pull a dolly that has the car completely off the road, but then again i am new to towing.... Did you do any modifications to the Xterra like headers or things like that?

Just a car dolly, two wheels on the road. It seriously pulled that thing just fine.

Just a car dolly, two wheels on the road. It seriously pulled that thing just fine.

Did you tow with the front or rear wheels on the road? If rear did you remove the driveshaft?

I've always been told that if you tow a rwd vehicle you can really mess up the transmission/diff...

I've always either gotten a flatbed or once when I had no choice towed with the front wheels on the ground.

In my previous experience I've shipped plenty of cars and that might be a good alternative. The reason being with time and money spent driving, renting the towing setup, gas etc equals close to if not the same as shipping the car through a shipper.

Both of my Z's I bought out of state, my first from the Las Vegas shipped all the way to Boston (Cost me ~$1000 all said and told)

:edit I looked over the OP's post seems like he wants a truck to use and keep. I would honestly any v6 truck should be fine as long as the flatbed/dolley isn't huge.

Edited by sito

Did you tow with the front or rear wheels on the road? If rear did you remove the driveshaft?

I've always been told that if you tow a rwd vehicle you can really mess up the transmission/diff...

I've always either gotten a flatbed or once when I had no choice towed with the front wheels on the ground.

In my previous experience I've shipped plenty of cars and that might be a good alternative. The reason being with time and money spent driving, renting the towing setup, gas etc equals close to if not the same as shipping the car through a shipper.

Both of my Z's I bought out of state, my first from the Las Vegas shipped all the way to Boston (Cost me ~$1000 all said and told)

:edit I looked over the OP's post seems like he wants a truck to use and keep. I would honestly any v6 truck should be fine as long as the flatbed/dolley isn't huge.

I have heard that as well.... i have always wondered.

I was thinking of just getting a truck, and ship the z because your right the tow dolly, and gas, and bla bla bla it sounds like it could be a pain/expensive. My gal has never really been across america and ive driven it at least 4 times and thought it be a nice way to show her the beauty of this country..... minus those borring and falt states lol

I pulled with front wheels on the ground. I've heard the same but ive also heard its not a big deal if you are going a short distance, as I was going over 1200 miles I played it safe.

I have heard that as well.... i have always wondered.

I was thinking of just getting a truck, and ship the z because your right the tow dolly, and gas, and bla bla bla it sounds like it could be a pain/expensive. My gal has never really been across america and ive driven it at least 4 times and thought it be a nice way to show her the beauty of this country..... minus those borring and falt states lol

Shipping is nice b/c you don't have deal with all the driving but road trips are great fun and as you said it would be a great opportunity to see a good portion of the country. Personally if I had the time I would have flown out and driven my car(s) home. Road trips can be tough but they are also great fun with friends/family/SO's and you can make a mini vacation out of it.

As for shipping you do need someone there for pickup and dropoff to my knowledge (thats how it was when I've shipped my cars) Also theres always the worry something could happen during transit, although nothing has happened to any of my shipped cars so far. (Knock on wood)

In short I would say if you had time to do the drive in a non-rushed manner, try to work out towing it home. You'll kill two birds with one stone as you can treat it as a roadtrip vacation and get the car home. Otherwise if its going to be really rushed and you won't be doing anything else but driving straight I would ship it.

Also welcome to the Northeast if you ever come up to Boston let us know :)