HybridZ

Tyson's Turbo 240Z Thread

Hey Drax!  Long time no see!

I plan on buying some race compounds spring 2014.  There's plenty of selection i've been eyeing on tirerack, just can't justify spending $600 on tires 6 months before I can use em.   I also want to be sure of the fitment before I order them.

Hey, wanted to ask you a question.  Those 2 metal replacement panels you gave me, where do they go on the car?

Getting the itch for a Z again yet?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, how did I not see that?

I found some darn near brand new Dunlop Direzza DZ101 in 225/50/16 for only $200.  I think these should suffice for now.   I'm getting them mounted tomorrow and I'll post pics of it when done.

The XXR 527 16x8.25 +0 offset wheels arrived and they are awesome.

The fit is about perfect, the wheel itself (lip edge to lip edge) is about 9.25" wide.  It's roughly 1" from my coilover, and damn near flush with the fender...Any wider and I'd need flares for sure.   I'll probably need to roll the fenders to get the ride height where I want it, I gave the fenders a mild roll today just to give it a little extra clearance and try to prevent any damage to the car or tire.   I looked at some pictures of a 225/50/16 on this wheel and it looks like the wheel and tire should be very flush without any stretch.  I'm not a fan of the stretched tire look and want to avoid it at all costs.

Tomorrow I'll need to pick up some "tuner" lugs since the 527s appear to require them.  I'm also not a fan of the term "tuner".

Cost for this post.  $200

The new wheels/tires are on.

XXR 527 16x8.25 +0 offset.

225/50/16 dunlop direzzas (non r compoundl). I want to flare the car so I can run 255s all around, maybe next year.   I also need to drop the car a hair more.

The tires have a very slight stretch, I'm not a fan of it but it's not very apparent. 

2p5J7eW.jpg?1

FFlPbo3.jpg?1

WaDcNkV.jpg?1

It cost $40 to have a reputable shop mount/balance.  Another $32 for tuner lugs.   I need to order a set of black lugs, they didn't have any locally in town.

Total cost for post $72

• 1 month later...

Not much to update today.   It's cold and there's snow on the ground, so the Z stays put.

On the last drive of the year I went for a long cruise, and set a personal record of 26mpg.  The new 16" wheels and running SDS in closed loop makes a huge difference!  Also, I got into the throttle a few times, so I think I'd maybe be able to squeek out a little more.   Gas was Costco 92 octane, I'm also not sure if they were running the winter blend with higher ethanol (which reduces mileage quite a bit)

I think I'm going to work on getting the engine/tranny ready to come out so I can re-do the front end of the car.