HybridZ

240Z vs FR-S

Moltar

I enjoyed the article but am left wondering, why compare an early Nissan sports car with a New Subayota?. Wouldn't Toyotas early 2000gt sports car or a 78-79 Supra have been a better subject to stay truer to its Toyota roots.

Supras and Z's also were in the same class with each other through all thier re-designs. :)

I'm not hating on Toyota or Nissan, I have been a dealership tech for both Toyota and Nissan and have owned a Supra and own a Z. :D

Edited by dexter72

I enjoyed the article but am left wondering, why compare an early Nissan sports car with a New Subayota?. Wouldn't an early Supra have been a better comparison to stay truer to its Toyota roots. If I remember correctly the 78-79 Supra also had a 4 cylinder engine. Supras and Z's also were considered to be in the same class with each other, through all there re-designs.

I thought the 2nd column of the 1st pg of text (pg 72 on the magazine article) covered this.

I believe the 2000gt was built in limited production and was priced almost twice as much as the Z, and the Supra didn't come out till close to 10yrs after the first Z came.

This was also on the title page of the article:

"The Datsun 240Z was the first sports car from Japan that really mattered.  Does the Scion FR-S measure up?"

Edited by mrcheeze36

I think the BRZ/FRS is an amazing example of what I would expect in a ~"New"~ "Z". I don't care who badges it. All those makes share a lot in common. Comparing this new car to the 240Z is big publicity and a point many people want to make. It is a remarkable car in a lot of ways. There is a lot of room for improvement in this chassis as well.

To be frank; No one ever cared about the Supra name like they did the "Z". Supra whoaaa??? People remember the 280Z.. or ZX as most people seem to remember them. The Scion line is known for young owners and many older sports car buyers do not want to buy a "kid's car". Subaru can get away with targeting the more mature crowd. I chose the Subaru because it is the most well appointed of the lineup. New features are becoming available every month. I figure by the time they ship "my" car, they will find something close enough for me to take home.

Edited by bjhines

I personally think it's a compelling car, but wasn't moved to order one back in April/May due to the stat sheet. I'm not overly impressed with the performance per dollar spent. But it does have tremendous potential.

Mike

Unfortunately manufacturers won't be rushing to build such cars based merely on endorsement of autocrosses and hobbyists. The mainstream market is about fashion, prestige, utility, value and economy (in no particular order). While I wish Toyota and Subaru all the best with their new venture, it's likely that after the initial wave of euphoria, sales will fizzle. The foreseeable future will not see a repeat of the 240z (early 70s), RX-7 (early 80s) or Miata (early 90s). Let's hope that I'm wrong!

Both badges are sold out in AU until the next shipment arrives, turbo versions already. Seriously, if my Porker bashing HybridZ disappeared one of these would be a top priority, this is the car that Nissan should have done for us. Poor show Nissan, well done Toyoburu.

They're sold out here too. The few the dealerships are holding back are marked up insanely high. Richard, I feel the same way you do... I could sell the GT3 tomorrow and walk away without losing a dime. And that's an 8 year old car.

Mike