HybridZ

MS3 on 280zx stopped working

phi135

I have an '81 280zxt. I put in the pre-build MS3, v357 about a year ago. All stock - only mod is an 82/83 Turbo dizzy to replace the '81 dizzy on-flyweel CAS.

I drove the car every other week or so as I started to do body work. Suddenly, as I drove back into the driveway a few months ago - the car died. I've been debbuging ever since. I also sent the MS3 back to DIYAT and had Matt take a look. He said it appears to be operating fine.

I've re-checked all of my connections. I re-soldered some. No luck. I am getting RPM/trigger signal. Everything appears to be working as "it was" when i was driving the car. The only thing I see that is suspicious is the spark. When I remove a plug, hold it against a ground and have someone crank the car - there ONE great spark - then only a very, very week spark that is barley detectible. I do get enough spark to trigger a timing light (yes - I'm still at TDC). I replaced the coil just for grins - but no change.

The car fires - attempts to start - every so often, but that's it. I believe I have a spark problem. Although Matt says he did not see any problem when he tested the unit, I am suspicious of the BIP373 coil driver.

Any suggestions?

I find its always the simplest things we over look, are you getting fuel? Are your plugs too wet try airing the motor out, pull plugs clean them up. Verify plug wires then timing order then ignition timing double check tdc. Since you say you got weak spark how is your battery ? What is you rpm signal with laptop hooked while cranking. Check voltage at coil make sure it's grounded well.

Edited by softopz