HybridZ

240z RB swap

hey hows it going i still can't decide one weather i should do a built rb25 or drop a rb26 in and do bolt ons. I know if i did the 26 i would have to spend more money but wouldn't mind and thinking whats gonna be really worth it and my 240z is gonna be daily drivin too. my hp goals i wanted to push was mid 500 for streets and around 300 when im daily driving back to work. Im not gonna rush the swap either i wanna take my time and get things done the right way and not no half ass job with my z so whats your opinions?

post-29354-070755300 1346355564_thumb.jpg

Welcome! What paart of Jersey you from? As for the swap, I would go with an RB 25 just because your hp goals are some what modest and the 25 is more than capable of it. But 550wheel is ALOT for a sub 2500lbs car. If I was you I would focus on hitting the 350hp mark, THEN start working on suspension and brakes. Better yet focus on just running the z stock hp at around 280, while working on the suspension /handling and brakes. No sense in having 500hp and not being about to stop or handle well.

There are a ton of threads on here about the rb swap, search a bit. Its been done a ton of times with great success. They have wiring specialties where you can buy the wiring harness from rb25 to datsun 240z. For around $350-500 depending on the extras. Thats basically the hardest part is wiring. The motor mounts are available on plenty of sites. Mckinely motorsports comes to mind, but they are half assed swaps personally, becasue you still have to tweak the motor mounts and cross member in some cases.

yeah i wanna make some power out of my stock l24 for now and upgrade suspension n brake and should get MSA headers and a exhaust and get some velocity stacks for my SU carbs and tune the carbs and im from central jersey near monmouth mall area

Nice I frequently am around bloomfield college, so monmouth is right there. Actually i have a number of a guy in monmouth that has a brown 280z with the rb swap in his z. Its for sale at $18k.

The L24 is a fun little motor but breaking 250 is not worth it best bang for your buck wise. For that you can get an L28et and have a blast with that, 350hp is easy and cheap. The L24 is a fun motor and things like a mild cam, 45mm ITB or like a holley carb or mukini, header, 2.5in exhaust, light weight flywheel, msd ignition compents and light weight pully can net you a fun little ride. There is lots to do on an L24 without breaking the bank but will not get you anywhere near the horse power of the RB or even an SR.