HybridZ

Decision Made

afbrian13

I spent Friday and Saturday afternoon at the neighbors house changing head gaskets on an 89 5.0 with a turbo. I've owned different older fords before and liked working on them, simple engines. After doing this job, in the car, and then driving it later I need to find a motor for the Z! I really like this 302. Its simple, the wiring (even with EFI) is simple, and that block is so small sitting there with everything off of it. The Mustang still feels heavy and I feel disconnected from it in the turns(guess I'm used to manual steering), but very fun to drive.

Why do I still have I6's sitting around my garage?

Guess its time to get my suspension and brakes in order-and find a wrecked GT!

Did I mention that sound...should be coming out of my 280...

Its like Datsun meant for the car to have a small block ford.

Question-Are all the ford car 5 speeds really notchy feeling? I only owned trucks and 1 had the old 4speed (granny 1st)That could take a little getting used to...

Had to tell some people that would understand...thanks!

Brian

- T45 in my car now, nice and tight, pretty smooth, makes all but the fastest shifts, and that might be just to blame the guy running the clutch.

- 1st T45 in my car, no Reverse, popped out of 2nd all the time under load and had to double clutch it to get it into 5th. Oh yeah, it was also pretty notchy.

- T5 in my 93 Mustang 4cyl, quite a bit notchy.

-(T5 in my 88 S-10, also notchy, yes I know they're a little different, but it was a BW T5 nonetheless)

- Ford 3sp (Full synchro)in my 65 Econoline, very smooth. Shifted like a dream even with the whipped out column shifter and 6' linkages to the trans.

- Ford 3sp (only 2-3 synchro) in my wife's 65 Mustang 3.3L pretty notchy, especially coming down 3-2, but I think it just needs a rebuild. (C'mon, it's like a million years old...)