HybridZ

Some possible engine swap ideas?

Isher

I've got a '77 280z. I was wanting to just upgrade the L28, but after seeing the lowest cost I could get for a stroker crank was 3000, and there is a very big lack of 280ZX Turbos around these parts of the US, I decided a Ford swap was more bang for the buck.

I already know the Coyote is out, as cool as that would be--I'm too low-budget for that.

I thought about a 302 or 351W, because I can find a bare block around here for pretty cheap, and with some AFR Aluminum heads and roller cam, it'd be a respectable V8. Also, can stroke out the 302.

I've had some experience with 5.4's in truck applications, but I've tossed around the idea of swapping in one of those. I can find a 5.4 here in a junkyard in better shape than a 4.6. I'm not sure how well it would fit, I know the 4.6 is already a tight fit.

Also, it's not a V8, but I've seen some people on here mention a 2.3T from an SVO/Turbo Coupe. I've thought about that myself, but one of the few issues I can think off of the bat is the intercooler...It would have to be converted to one sitting in the bumper/air dam area.

Any ideas or experiences to toss out there?

Have you looked into adding a turbo to your engine and going with a Megasquirt standalone unit?. You can rebuild the L28 if you choose but you don't need a stroker crank. Then work on getting your turbo goodies, L28 with a T3/T4 turbo running 15 psi of boost, is quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheapest/ best documented = 5.0 carb'd

All of the 5.4's I've seen have had a SUPER high intake manifold, so unless you're planning on dropping some dough on a custom intake or using a 6" cowl hood, that one's out.

There's a ton of 4.6 SOHC's out there in from Grandma's Lincoln in every junkyard, but they're a little more complicated to get into place in the Z's engine bay. (compared to the 5.0)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, guys.

@yellowoctopus: there's a kit on the market that converts the lower profile 4.6 manifold to fit on a 5.4 head. There's not much difference between the two (except in weight and torque numbers). I would probably still need a 3-4" cowl induction hood, but if I remember correctly, the 5.4 uses the same ECU and wiring harness as the 4.6. I've heard stories of flashing a 5.4 map on a 4.6 ECU and it working with 5.4, but I'm not too sure about any of that.

I've decided to not go with a swap, because in the money I'd invest in a good engine and swapping it in, I'd be out just as much money as building the L28. Not only that, I wouldn't be able to compete in SCCA anything, which is all we really have here in AR besides drag racing in Prescott and Centerville.

And as for the turbo idea, finding a 280zx turbo is next to impossible here. Instead of needle in a haystack, it's more like finding a grain of salt in the grand canyon. I know of a shop that has one, but it's one a customer dropped off for repair and never picked up, and the phone number they gave the shop is disconnected. They said if it weren't for that, they'd sell me it for 500, but sadly, they can't.

Also, I'm not keeping fuel injection, so that's out. I'm going to carbs.

So, I guess really, a supercharger would probably fit my Forced Induction needs best if I go down that path and I could probably run around 5-8 pounds with a blow-through set up and an intercooler fairly easily as long as I was properly carbed and had a good plenum. Everything's still in the planning stage and it probably won't be done for several years considering I also have school too and still am trying just to get the car on its feet. First thing is first--get the car running, buy a spare N47 block and stroke it to 3.1.

Edited by Isher

Hey, back in the '80's I had a '76 280Z that I converted to triple Weber side draft carbs, 11:1 pistons and long race headers with full 3" exhaust with the exit in front of the right rear wheel through the rocker panel. Some judicious porting, polishing, balancing and blueprinting and the last dyno run had it at 255hp and I didn't have to fabricate anything but the exhaust system and the exit through the rocker panel. Not a V8, but better than the stock turbo ZX and no turbo lag, no suspension issues, and no changes in F/R balance. A real blast to drive and would eat Porches and 'Vettes for breakfast! Oh yeah, you'll need to go to MUCH wider tires to handle the power and speed you'll carry into and out of the twisties. Should be an easier upgrade than in the '80s since the 3" exhust tubing is readily available now. I had to use diesel truck tube back then. As for a blow-through system, with the better fuel pressure regulators available now that can track boost, fuel isn't the issue. The quality of the carb and the sealing of its gaskets are critical to avoid fuel leaks. Good luck and I hope to see some pics when you're done.

Just my 2¢ here, but I'd keep the fuel injection if you're planning on doing a supercharger, and are planning on driving it a lot. (For a drag car only, probably not TOO hard to tune, since it's basically WOT.) Tuning with an aftermarket ECU would be significantly easier than a carb'd SC setup. Yes, it has been/can be done, but in the long run I think it may prove to be more of a headache than setting up a trigger wheel and a Megasquirt to the fuel injection you already have. (And you can buy the Megasquirts prebuilt now too, if you're not into doing all the soldering etc yourself.)

And as a side note to the earlier 5.4/ 4.6 comment, I've seen the spacer plate adapter things, but I haven't heard very good things from the guys on the SN95 boards who do the 5.4 swap. Out of curiosity, why would you flash the 5.4 program onto a 4.6 ECU? Why not just use the 5.4 ECU in the first place? Either one will need the PATS (passive anti theft system) disabled (reflashed). When I did my 4.6 swap, I couldn't find a mod motor ECU that didn't have the PATS on it (unless you wanted to use the older EDIS spark module, then you could use the Lincoln ECU with no flashing required.