HybridZ

75 280z RB25 build thread

kerristallax

I bought my 75 Datsun 280z back in late 2004, and did a refresh & repaint then, fixing the rust it had as best as I could at the time. I'd always wanted to do an RB swap, but the cost and general impracticality of it kept me away. I've been driving it around with a ho-hum carbed L28 since. It still runs fine, but I've decided it's time to have some fun with the car.

Here's my car (the white 280z) at Tail of the Dragon this past May

CA390219.jpg

I bought a S1 RB25DET with 5-speed manual transmission from JDM Engine Corp off eBay. Looks like it has been sitting outside for a while, but in decent shape.

The seller replaced the dented ECU after some haggling. A friend in Japan was also able to source me a spare ECU off Yahoo Auctions for a decent price, so I have a spare just in case.

ecudamage.jpg

It's going to be a pretty standard build based on what I've seen other members here doing.

S1 RB25DET with 5-spd manual

Freddy Intake manifold

OBX Dump Pipe into 3" stainless exhaust

Wiring Specialties new wiring harness

McKinney Motor, Transmissions mounts, Driveshaft

Oil pan & pickup modified by Pat1

Stock injectors and fuel rail

Walbro 255lph fuel pump, planning to run the stock 280z fuel tank

New 3/8" steel fuel lines from tank to engine bay

South Bend Clutch - stage 2 enduro + pressure plate

New Nissan timing belt, tensioners, tensioner spring, stud, and seals

Nissan gasket kit from Nismoparts

I've got the motor on a stand now and have been cleaning it up so far. Couple questions...

The coolant line running to the turbo used to run from here

CA390297.jpg

through the intake manifold fuel rail area, and then over to the turbo. Can I block this line off, and just run the rear line

to the turbo?

CA390296.jpg

Also, the gasket kit I bought says it came with a oil stainer o-ring. What I got is different...

CA390300.jpg

Middle - replacement seal? It fits the bolt pattern and o-ring groove perfectly. On the right is the original o-ring.

Is this normal? The only o-ring in the gasket kit is considerably smaller than this.

More to come...