HybridZ

Gas Pumping Out of the Tank Fill Point

RonK

"Tank Fill Point" (where you put the gas in) ... Last week I filled my tank and noticed the smell of gas driving down the road. I'm at a stop light and I think the young lady rolling down her window wants to comment on how neat my car is.... Instead, she tells me I have gas leaking out of my gas cap area.

It took a while of repeatedly shutting down and letting the gas settle, starting it up only to still have it pumping gas up and out of the fill point.... finally got in and drove home a few miles hoping I wasn't going to blow up.

It stopped and hasn't happened again, but then I'm afraid to fill it up and have it repeat the problem, so I've been only putting 10gals in at a time.

Ideas?

First of all you don't mention what type of car it is which would help others solve your problem.

I suspect that you overfilled the tank on a warm day, the fuel expanded, and pushed out under the gas cap. On my 240Z if I overfill (top off) on a hot day the fuel will expand and run out past the gas cap. As long as I don't top off the tank there are no leaks.

• 4 years later...